Question PC Blackscreen/crash > GPU fans 100%

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Just got my new rig setup and was eager to test it out. Loaded up a game (in this case Journey to the Savage Planet), saw the main menu for a good 3 seconds and the screen goes black, GPU fans go to the max.

Halp.

What could be the issue, anyone have an idea?
Specs are as following;

CPU - i3 8100 @ 3.6Ghz
GPU - Gigabyte 1060 3GB
PSU - Turbo-x 650w (Some random Greek brand I think)
MB - Gigabyte X370P D3

Now the weird thing is that this doesn't happen under any sort of load. I've tried googling my way through the jungle and a lot of people do experience the same problem as I do, but usually this happens after putting the GPU under some stress from what I can tell.
Tried Heaven Benchmark as well to try and see if that makes any different, but the same, second I load it up PC goes black and fans to the max.

Thenoob212

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
yes ,i see that is a gpu problem specially a overheat problem so before confirming that.
you must installing a software which can you record your temp (like asus gpu tweak II)if it bypass 75 degrees you must open your gpu and change the cooling paste if you don't have it you can make it using vaseline +toothpaste
it make really a big difference

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
yes ,i see that is a gpu problem specially a overheat problem so before confirming that.
you must installing a software which can you record your temp (like asus gpu tweak II)if it bypass 75 degrees you must open your gpu and change the cooling paste if you don't have it you can make it using vaseline +toothpaste
it make really a big difference

Yeah I was thinking it might be that, but its kinda hard to monitor the temp when the computer freeze instantly upon starting a game or benchmark. Currently I have only tried with Heaven though.

Everything seems normal otherwise, the GPU is idling at 35.

UPDATE: Interestingly enough, I am able to run FurMark without issues, although I haven't tried pushing it for a longer period.

Temps seem fine so far at 68 degrees under heavy load.

Last edited:

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
So far I've;

Re-installed GPU drivers with DDU in safemode to older version.
Changed PCIe slot.
Checked cables, looked fine as far as I could tell.
Ran VRAM test in OCCT as someone pointed out it might be down to this.
Updated BIOS.

It is absolutely strange as certain benchmark tools work while others doesnt. As mentioned FurMark runs fine, while Heaven dont. OCCT different test runs fine, MSI Kombustor dont.