Question PC bluescreens seconds into new windows installation

mewaaaa

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Good evening

My girlfriend computer had an issue with her motherboard. It did not work after all the tests i ran and to RMA it i would have to spend almost the same amount of money as a new motherboard to get it sent out and sent back so i ended up buying a new motherboard. Due to it not having an M.2 Slot, i gave her my SSD and HDD.

I have installed 2 versions of windows 10 onto both, which both have ended up having the issue of crashing immediately after we start installing updates or other software on the computer. Both the SSD and HDD work fine on my PC.
I had an assumption that the RAM could be faulty but when i replaced it when testing the previous motherboard it had the same fault, which was the motherboard.

In brief, computer bluescreens seconds into something being done on it on a fresh windows 10 install, updated and not updated, on both a checked SSD and checked HDD. I have run out of ideas of what it could be.

The comptuer is a I5 9600f, with 16gb of ddr4 corsair LPX, a corsair RM 650 modular gold.

The codes when the computer crashes are random but most involve something with kernel security.

I am willing to provide more information if required, sorry for the bad description

dwd999

Honorable
Good evening

My girlfriend computer had an issue with her motherboard. It did not work after all the tests i ran and to RMA it i would have to spend almost the same amount of money as a new motherboard to get it sent out and sent back so i ended up buying a new motherboard. Due to it not having an M.2 Slot, i gave her my SSD and HDD.

I have installed 2 versions of windows 10 onto both, which both have ended up having the issue of crashing immediately after we start installing updates or other software on the computer. Both the SSD and HDD work fine on my PC.
I had an assumption that the RAM could be faulty but when i replaced it when testing the previous motherboard it had the same fault, which was the motherboard.

In brief, computer bluescreens seconds into something being done on it on a fresh windows 10 install, updated and not updated, on both a checked SSD and checked HDD. I have run out of ideas of what it could be.

The comptuer is a I5 9600f, with 16gb of ddr4 corsair LPX, a corsair RM 650 modular gold.

The codes when the computer crashes are random but most involve something with kernel security.

I am willing to provide more information if required, sorry for the bad description
Well for starters the windows installer is kind of quirky and prefers that you have only 1 drive connected at installation time. The drive should have a GPT identifier. They also recommend that you have an ethernet connection to the internet just in case the installer needs more files from MS but that is optional and installation should work without it. During the install process you just delete all previous partitions on the drive and the installer creates new ones. Did you do all of that?

mewaaaa

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Well for starters the windows installer is kind of quirky and prefers that you have only 1 drive connected at installation time. The drive should have a GPT identifier. They also recommend that you have an ethernet connection to the internet just in case the installer needs more files from MS but that is optional and installation should work without it. During the install process you just delete all previous partitions on the drive and the installer creates new ones. Did you do all of that?
Hello

Yes i have connected only one drive at each time of the installation. I had deleted all partitions each time, i had also tried deleting all partitions and creating a new one with the maximum amount of storage i could put on it and installing windows on it, which had been the same issue each time.

Good evening

Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run for a few hours.
No errors allowed.

dwd999

Honorable
Hello

Yes i have connected only one drive at each time of the installation. I had deleted all partitions each time, i had also tried deleting all partitions and creating a new one with the maximum amount of storage i could put on it and installing windows on it, which had been the same issue each time.
No, you do not create any new partitions yourself. Just delete all of the old partitions so that the drive space is totally unallocated and the installer will create all of the partitions it needs. Did you verify the GPT identifier?

mewaaaa

Reputable
May 7, 2019
No, you do not create any new partitions yourself. Just delete all of the old partitions so that the drive space is totally unallocated and the installer will create all of the partitions it needs. Did you verify the GPT identifier?
What is a GPT identifier?

dwd999

Honorable
What is a GPT identifier?
Its the partition identifier initially assigned to all disk drives. There is an older one called MBR that people accidentally still use today. If you open up the windows disk management app and right click on the left side on the lower part of the screen where it says Disk 0 or Disk 1 you can then select Properties and then Volumes and you will see what Partition Style you have.

mewaaaa

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run for a few hours.
No errors allowed.
Partition style sais GUID Partition table (GBT) on my current pc, so im assuming it'll say the same on the other pc as theyre both setup in the same way

dwd999

Honorable
Partition style sais GUID Partition table (GBT) on my current pc, so im assuming it'll say the same on the other pc as theyre both setup in the same way
So it sounds like the problems are not related to the initial installation. What are you doing after that? You haven't mentioned what video cards are involved and what drivers you've installed. And has the bios been updated to the latest version provided by the manufacturer?

mewaaaa

Reputable
May 7, 2019
So it sounds like the problems are not related to the initial installation. What are you doing after that? You haven't mentioned what video cards are involved and what drivers you've installed. And has the bios been updated to the latest version provided by the manufacturer?
After the install i begin updating the windows itself as it isnt the most up to date install. I then proceed to start installing the basics such as discord steam etc, after i get a couple apps installing/running it crashes. I had an instance where the computer crashed immediately after a restart, i have also not updated windows itself at one point and opened up a couple microsoft edges which it then also crashed after that.

I had not updated the BIOS yet, i did not know it was very necessary to do this until i read some things about it updating compatibility with devices so after the memory test that im doing now i will probably update like it recommends to and see whether it is a compatibility issue.

I am using a RX 5500 XT in the build, video drivers are installed by windows but i reinstall them with the AMD software.

dwd999

Honorable
After the install i begin updating the windows itself as it isnt the most up to date install. I then proceed to start installing the basics such as discord steam etc, after i get a couple apps installing/running it crashes. I had an instance where the computer crashed immediately after a restart, i have also not updated windows itself at one point and opened up a couple microsoft edges which it then also crashed after that.

I had not updated the BIOS yet, i did not know it was very necessary to do this until i read some things about it updating compatibility with devices so after the memory test that im doing now i will probably update like it recommends to and see whether it is a compatibility issue.

I am using a RX 5500 XT in the build, video drivers are installed by windows but i reinstall them with the AMD software.
You're not going to be able to diagnose and solve the problem until you proceed in a more orderly fashion. Pass memory test and update bios, then Windows install, then update, then check Device Manager to ensure all necessary drivers are installed and all devices are functioning properly. Unless there is a specific advantage to reinstalling the AMD software you should wait to do that. Hold off on the discord and steam stuff until you've been able to use all of the computer's functions and make sure that there are no crashes for a few days. Then add one program at a time and repeat tests to make sure everything is functioning before adding the next program, etc.

ASK THE COMMUNITY