[SOLVED] PC "Boot Failure" when I enable XMP Profile 1 with New G.skill Ram!

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
Hello all! I PRAY someone can help as Ive seen similar issues mentioned but no solution, I am also Not the most knowledgeable with RAM & Overclocking (not at all) so I am very lost & very sad as I saved my disability pension money for many months to get this ram & I made sure it was the correct type. I had to wait 3 months for my new Ram kit to arrive (G.Skill F4-4000C18Q-32GTZR) its a 32GB kit which is 4x 8G sticks, I spent Months researching, asking sellers, distributors etc trying to find a Ram kit faster than what I already had (I had 32GB 2133Mhz) so I ended up being pointed towards the G.Skill F4-4000C18Q-32GTZR as my motherboard doesnt support many 4000Mhz kits that have RGB, this was the only one I could even find, G.Skills wesite has my motherboard on this Rams QVL list, claiming it has been tested & will work fine at 4000Mhz CL18-19-19-39 with the XMP profile, My Motherboard is a "Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro" & I have an Intel i9 9900K CPU as well. My PC will boot up & run fine with this new ram at stock settings, but, if I enable the XMP Profile 1 (the WHOLE point in Ram like this) my PC wont boot & shows an error on screen "Boot failure detected" with some numbers that say "Current CPU speed: 4700.99Mhz, Current BCLK: 99.97Mhz, Current Memory Speed: 2132.82Mhz" & also says "The system has experienced a boot failure possibly due to incorrect configuration. Previous settings in BIOS may not be compatible. with current hardware state" I have tried to download all newer updated versions of the BIOS & installed it as well, as I read other peoples XMP stopped working when they updated their BIOS, so I thought a new BIOS version may work, it didnt! Maybe I need an older BIOS version like those people did? Idk how to install an older BIOS version tho, is it the same as installing to a new version but I would just put an old BIOS version on the USB stick instead? I also have 2x Gigabyte Aourus 1080ti's in SLI, could that effect this XMP maybe? PLEASE help as this is killing me.

Solution
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused Virus Of Cyrus. :( I understand what your saying.

You have been
caught up in marketing hype. I don't trust QVL configurators having been caught myself in the past.

Much is about understanding silicon chips and how DIMMs are binned during manufacture.
Some chips are more pure and can attain a higher frequency and that is the CAS Latency. The factory sellect and Bin DIMM modules so they will work together as a matched pair or quad. You ofc pay more for the higher binned chips.

When selecting a RAM kit it's best to only refer to the QVL of the motherboard manufacturer and consumer reviews such as here at Tom's. Even the most reputable RAM manufacturers have a vested...

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
I also forgot to mention that besides updating the BIOS to each of the newer versions, one at a time until I had the latest BIOS version & testing to see if the XMP would work each time, I also did try just 2 of the 4 Ram sticks to see if one of the Ram sticks was at fault & I also changed which slots the Ram sticks were in but that also changed nothing. Im not sure if it will show up here, but I took a photo of the error message I got every time I enabled the XMP profile: View: https://imgur.com/a/yHJL7OI
I feel like the ONLY possibility is that G.Skill has Lied to everyone & just said they have tested this Ram kit on my motherboard because they wanted to sell as many kits of the Ram as possible, as if there is no obvious solution as to why simply clicking on XMP profile 1 doesnt make the Ram boot at 4000Mhz then G.Skill must be lying?

i9 9900K CPU officially supports up 2666MHz. To expect the rated frequency of 4000MHZ OC ram is a huge ask of the IMC which is what determines the MAX frequency that will work. Having 32GB (4x8) will make it even more difficult.

Claiming it has been tested & will work fine at 4000Mhz CL18-19-19-39 with the XMP profile, is not true.

There are no XMP SPD profiles at 4000MHz so you will have to key in SPD values manually in Bios.
There will be no guarantee you will reach their rated frequency and the higher you go the less stable they will become.
You have misunderstood some things so return the kit you have for G.SKILL (2x16)at 3200MHz and you will have a much better chance of them working with your system.

Your Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro will have a QVL of tested RAM kits and it is from this list you should choose your kit.

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
i9 9900K CPU officially supports up 2666MHz. To expect the rated frequency of 4000MHZ OC ram is a huge ask of the IMC which is what determines the MAX frequency that will work. Having 32GB (4x8) will make it even more difficult.

Claiming it has been tested & will work fine at 4000Mhz CL18-19-19-39 with the XMP profile, is not true.

There are no XMP SPD profiles at 4000MHz so you will have to key in SPD values manually in Bios.
There will be no guarantee you will reach their rated frequency and the higher you go the less stable they will become.
You have misunderstood some things so return the kit you have for G.SKILL (2x16)at 3200MHz and you will have a much better chance of them working with your system.

Your Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro will have a QVL of tested RAM kits and it is from this list you should choose your kit.
Thank You MeanMachine, I was certainly misguided by several sellers, this is the link they sent me to which is a QVL from G.skill & when searching with my Motherboard the G.skill Ram configurator/QVL & the sellers I asked said this Ram & XMP would work perfectly: https://www.gskill.com/configurator...h2=Capacity§32GB (8GBx4),Tested_Speed§4000MHz,
I dont really understand what your saying as I dont know much at all about Ram, XMP & overclocking, but what I researched literally said as long as the Ram is on a QVL for your motherboard (from Motherboard or the Rams manufacturer) it would work fine as they are supposed to be tested & thats what I thought QVL's were for? As the sellers (2 different sellers in Australia) pointed me to the G.skill site & showed this Ram kit on that list for my MB, I foolishly believed them (tho I gues u cant blame me as it said this was how you choose ram literally everywhere I researched) but am I correct that your saying the i9 9900K is garbage as far as Ram compatibility & will only run 3200Mhz or less? Intel advertised the i9 9900k when I bought it as made for gaming & one of their best CPU's & I was prepared to spend a high amount of money to get a future proof PC build, thinking the I9 would support almost any Ram speed as long as the Motherboard supported it, it seems your saying the Motherboard doesnt matter & its all about the CPU when it comes to Ram speed, so WHY would anyone waste money on an expensive Motherboard if it makes no difference? & I also see Ram for sale that is MUCH faster than 4000Mhz, what Ive seen makes 4000Mhz look old or lame in comparison, so what CPU/motherboard can I buy that will support faster ram with XMP profiles? Your comment has alos changed my world as far as wondering Why XMP profiles exist & Why the heck the G.skill website had my ram show up for my motherboard when I should have just bought the cheapest Ram I could find. I feel I have wasted all my money on a rubbis CPU for gaming & now I cant get any decent Ram speeds or use Any XMP profile ram, is that correct? ALL i want is a CPU/Motherboard that will run Ram/ XMP at 4000Mhz, so if the i9 9900K can never run close to this what should I be buying that doesnt cost 10x as much? Im still extremely depressed that 2 sellers have put me in this situation & I will have to ask for a refund since this Ram is literally an expensive paperweight if I have an apparently extremely outdated i9 9900K. Since all sellers seem to lie or con me I dont know how to find/buy the CPU/Motherbaord & Ram I need either. Thank god for amazing & honest people like yourself tho!

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020

Also, I just remembered the QVL for my motherboard did have 4000Mhz ram on it! But none of them were RGB & so I simply went looking for an RGB kit that was 4000 & was directed to this kit, so Why would the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro's QVL have other 4000Mhz kits if the i9 9900K doesnt support it? that really makes your comment highly confusing to me :(

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020

There is also things like this Youtuber who is running an i9 9900K with G.skill 4000Mhz Ram:
View: https://youtu.be/VElMNPXJtuA
but I should this be impossible? This is so confusing its painful :(

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused Virus Of Cyrus. :( I understand what your saying.

You have been
caught up in marketing hype. I don't trust QVL configurators having been caught myself in the past.

Much is about understanding silicon chips and how DIMMs are binned during manufacture.
Some chips are more pure and can attain a higher frequency and that is the CAS Latency. The factory sellect and Bin DIMM modules so they will work together as a matched pair or quad. You ofc pay more for the higher binned chips.

When selecting a RAM kit it's best to only refer to the QVL of the motherboard manufacturer and consumer reviews such as here at Tom's. Even the most reputable RAM manufacturers have a vested interest to sell you their product.

Motherboard manufacturers make Low cost and High end boards. the low cost boards do not support high frequency RAM as well so that is one factor an enthusiast will determine when choosing his/her build.

The other main factor is the memory specification of the CPU chip be it Intel or AMD.
i9 9900K CPU officially supports up to 2666MHz and generally scale well however this also depends on the silicon lottery and the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which plays an important part and is somewhat unknown.

It is therefor always best to purchase a kit of RAM with the understanding that the retailer will accept a return if what you choose don't work well together. Not all will accept this
premise.

There is a standard by which manufacturers comply with when writing SPD profiles for their RAM kits. It is the JDEC standard which is up to 2666MHz for XMP profiles and similar for DOCP which is AMDs profiling standard. Some wright special profiles that do not adhere to JDEC standards however.
When you exceed the JDEC standard then you have to manually insert the SPD values in Bios to achieve their rated frequency. You will see that the higher binned RAM kits have a slower CL (Cas Latency) whereas less high frequencies come with tighter timings.

There is no guarantee you will attain your RAMs frequency if you choose OC RAM. Yes a kit of RAM with higher than the JDEC standard may be listed on the MB QVL and have been tested. The techo's who tested them are experienced Overclockers and have managed to set the correct SPD values to enable listing on the QVL. Ram manufacturers supply them with Kits of varying combinations to test and also to modify micro coding for updates to Bios capability.

To understand a lot of what that vid you chose to watch has you confused. All systems are different and those benchmarks are using a setup that may not reflect your system.

Experienced Overclockers use Thaiphoon and DRAM calculator to get working SPD Primary and Secondary timings for difficult to configure RAM. If your keen then check them out. You should also check out some vids on youtube on how to use them.

I hope I have clarified some of your confusion.

Solution

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020

You have been

When selecting a RAM kit it's best to only refer to the QVL of the motherboard manufacturer and consumer reviews such as here at Tom's. Even the most reputable RAM manufacturers have a vested interest to sell you their product.

Motherboard manufacturers make Low cost and High end boards. the low cost boards do not support high frequency RAM as well so that is one factor an enthusiast will determine when choosing his/her build.

The other main factor is the memory specification of the CPU chip be it Intel or AMD.
i9 9900K CPU officially supports up to 2666MHz and generally scale well however this also depends on the silicon lottery and the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which plays an important part and is somewhat unknown.

It is therefor always best to purchase a kit of RAM with the understanding that the retailer will accept a return if what you choose don't work well together. Not all will accept this
premise.

There is a standard by which manufacturers comply with when writing SPD profiles for their RAM kits. It is the JDEC standard which is up to 2666MHz for XMP profiles and similar for DOCP which is AMDs profiling standard. Some wright special profiles that do not adhere to JDEC standards however.
When you exceed the JDEC standard then you have to manually insert the SPD values in Bios to achieve their rated frequency. You will see that the higher binned RAM kits have a slower CL (Cas Latency) whereas less high frequencies come with tighter timings.

There is no guarantee you will attain your RAMs frequency if you choose OC RAM. Yes a kit of RAM with higher than the JDEC standard may be listed on the MB QVL and have been tested. The techo's who tested them are experienced Overclockers and have managed to set the correct SPD values to enable listing on the QVL. Ram manufacturers supply them with Kits of varying combinations to test and also to modify micro coding for updates to Bios capability.

To understand a lot of what that vid you chose to watch has you confused. All systems are different and those benchmarks are using a setup that may not reflect your system.

Experienced Overclockers use Thaiphoon and DRAM calculator to get working SPD Primary and Secondary timings for difficult to configure RAM. If your keen then check them out. You should also check out some vids on youtube on how to use them.

I hope I have clarified some of your confusion.
Thanks again MeanMachine :) As stated this ram is listed on the G.skills website under my Motherboard, but when I enable the XMP profile I get boot error, I also tried changing the speed manually in the Bios just to see if it would boot with ANY changes made & it would still get boot error, but then I used Gigabytes EasyTune software & enabled XMP profile 1 (All through EasyTune) & set the speed under 4000Mhz to 3733Mhz & then it asked to restart my PC & it actually boots, So i went into CPU-Z to look at the RAM speeds & it says its at 1866Mhz so it seems it is now actually at 3732Mhz, The Gigabyte EasyTune software also says the same thing, althout the timing are the same as the XMP profile the spped is 3733 instead of 4000 but thats not too far off I guess, I dont understand WHY it wont work from the BIOS but works with the Software, since you know a LOT more than me would you have any idea at all? Also, hopefully you can see tyhis screenshot (Im not sure how to attach screenshots or pictures on this message/thread, would you know how to do that also? I have just uploaded it to Imgur.com & will post the link, hoping you can see it) View: https://imgur.com/a/67LkwAH

The other thing is that I do not like this Gigabyte Aorus Pro motherboard, the QVL is extremely limited & ALL the Ram kits on it seem very old/outdated, in fact it was shocking to me that the "Aorus" products of Gigabyte are all about RGB effects, yet I dont think Any (literally not one from memory) of the QVL ram kits had RGB! I was looking at other motherboards & Ive been thinking for a long time about Asus ROG Strix Motherboards, as they seem to possibly be build towards gamers specifically, so I looked at a Asus ROG Strix Z390-H motherboard & looked up its QVL & its so much better! Unlike my Gigabyte motherboard that did not have this current 4000Mhz G.skill kit on its QVL (but my motherboard was listed on G.skills list for this kit) the Asus ROG Strix Z390-H has this kit listed on its QVL & it also has a LOT of the Ram kits, like the more modern RGB kits as well that my Gigabyte motherboard was far from, so do you know if that Asus ROG Strix motherboard better quality, or is it a higher tier than the Aorus Pro (they call it "Pro" but its one of their most basic models!)that I have? As the Ram kits on its QVL are a Lot newer & there are a lot more of the faster kits as well that are mostsly available, whereas when I looked for the faster kits that were on the Aorus Pro's QVL they were all discontinued a long time ago, The Asus ROG Strix Z390-H is similar price to the Aorus Pro, but just seems so much higher quality, either that or its just aimed at more enthusiast users or gamers maybe? I live in Australia also so I dont have as many options of where to purchase things like this from, but here is the actual eBay listing of the Asus ROG board I was looking at from a seller I have bought quite a few PC components from & was hoping maybe you could tell me if it would possibly be better, also I looked up the BIOS & menus etc & unlike the Gigabyte Aorus MB I was able to find a LOT more videos & guides on overclocking Ram etc & navigating the Bios menu so I thought that would also make it a much more appropriate mb for my since Im not experienced & need guides/videos, here is the Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-RO...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
& again, unlike the Aorus Pro this Asus ROG motherboard does have my new Ram kit on their QVL.
I really hope you can help once again or shed some light on this, maybe I can pay you back by backing u up in a game one day, at the very least I could be a great human shield!

Thanks again MeanMachine :) As stated this ram is listed on the G.skills website under my Motherboard, but when I enable the XMP profile I get boot error, I also tried changing the speed manually in the Bios just to see if it would boot with ANY changes made & it would still get boot error, but then I used Gigabytes EasyTune software & enabled XMP profile 1 (All through EasyTune) & set the speed under 4000Mhz to 3733Mhz & then it asked to restart my PC & it actually boots, So i went into CPU-Z to look at the RAM speeds & it says its at 1866Mhz so it seems it is now actually at 3732Mhz, The Gigabyte EasyTune software also says the same thing, althout the timing are the same as the XMP profile the spped is 3733 instead of 4000 but thats not too far off I guess, I dont understand WHY it wont work from the BIOS but works with the Software, since you know a LOT more than me would you have any idea at all? Also, hopefully you can see tyhis screenshot (Im not sure how to attach screenshots or pictures on this message/thread, would you know how to do that also? I have just uploaded it to Imgur.com & will post the link, hoping you can see it) View: https://imgur.com/a/67LkwAH

The other thing is that I do not like this Gigabyte Aorus Pro motherboard, the QVL is extremely limited & ALL the Ram kits on it seem very old/outdated, in fact it was shocking to me that the "Aorus" products of Gigabyte are all about RGB effects, yet I dont think Any (literally not one from memory) of the QVL ram kits had RGB! I was looking at other motherboards & Ive been thinking for a long time about Asus ROG Strix Motherboards, as they seem to possibly be build towards gamers specifically, so I looked at a Asus ROG Strix Z390-H motherboard & looked up its QVL & its so much better! Unlike my Gigabyte motherboard that did not have this current 4000Mhz G.skill kit on its QVL (but my motherboard was listed on G.skills list for this kit) the Asus ROG Strix Z390-H has this kit listed on its QVL & it also has a LOT of the Ram kits, like the more modern RGB kits as well that my Gigabyte motherboard was far from, so do you know if that Asus ROG Strix motherboard better quality, or is it a higher tier than the Aorus Pro (they call it "Pro" but its one of their most basic models!)that I have? As the Ram kits on its QVL are a Lot newer & there are a lot more of the faster kits as well that are mostsly available, whereas when I looked for the faster kits that were on the Aorus Pro's QVL they were all discontinued a long time ago, The Asus ROG Strix Z390-H is similar price to the Aorus Pro, but just seems so much higher quality, either that or its just aimed at more enthusiast users or gamers maybe? I live in Australia also so I dont have as many options of where to purchase things like this from, but here is the actual eBay listing of the Asus ROG board I was looking at from a seller I have bought quite a few PC components from & was hoping maybe you could tell me if it would possibly be better, also I looked up the BIOS & menus etc & unlike the Gigabyte Aorus MB I was able to find a LOT more videos & guides on overclocking Ram etc & navigating the Bios menu so I thought that would also make it a much more appropriate mb for my since Im not experienced & need guides/videos, here is the Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-ROG-Strix-Z390-H-Gaming-ATX-LGA1151-Motherboard/193631110051?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
& again, unlike the Aorus Pro this Asus ROG motherboard does have my new Ram kit on their QVL.
I really hope you can help once again or shed some light on this, maybe I can pay you back by backing u up in a game one day, at the very least I could be a great human shield!
GDAY and thanks for the offer of backup M8. I'm in AUS too on the Gold Coast. I'm now a solo player and play Assassin Creed titles since I got sick of multiplayer a while back.

I'm a stickler for ASUS and their high end boards are the best for Overclocking. The ROG Strix is right up there for gaming. RGB is the flavour of the month lately cause it sells as more attention by consumers grows.

I am more interested in power and performance than bling as I do a lot of 3D CAD rendering.
Regarding suppliers, I use Skycomp and some good discount coupons can be got occasionally and good delivery.
I have used Umart who are competitive also. Always best to shop around.

Regarding RAM Timings and Voltage you should try the DRAM calculator and Thaiphoon to try. It will calculate the best primary and secondary timings in conjunction with the Dram voltage you set. It can be a little confusing at first but stick with it and learn. There are YouTube vids on the subject.

MM

williams101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I had the same issue and the fix for me was disabling the memory integrity feature of Windows. Can now run at DDR3600 XMP profile1. Was stuck on 2133 before.

Edit: allow it to fail (takes ages on a gigabyte board), enter bios, disable xmp, boot windows, disable memory integrity mode in the security center, reboot, enable XMP profile, save and reboot.

Last edited: