Question PC Boot issue - Can't find my SSD in BIOS Boot Order Priorities list ?

vikash23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi,

My PC was running without any issue for a long time and not sure why I get this error suddenly where i was downloading data from my cloud storage and I got a blue screen. I added a new graphics card recently and even after that it was working good.

My PC ran into an issue where a black screen appears and ask me to reboot and select proper boot device.

Image 1:

https://imageshack.com/i/pnTU3b6Vj

I restarted my PC and pressed F11 to see the "one time" boot device options and I can see my SSD (SATA 4) where I have installed my OS .

Image 2:

https://imageshack.com/i/pog6yfaLj

But in BIOS Setup I can't see my SSD. Option 1 is my HDD and not my SSD. I can't see my SSD option in any of the 13 options. Its strange as I have seen my SSD before when my PC was working good.

Image 3:

https://imageshack.com/i/pnPRSMzBj

I just "exit without saving" and I see disk checking screen as in Image 4 below:

Image 4:

https://imageshack.com/i/pmNhqdWmj

I cancel disk checking and it takes me to my windows. Also in the image 2 if I select SATA4 boot option it takes me to my windows. Not sure why it is not the first option.

Any idea why I am not seeing SSD in my BIOS setup?

Its difficult for me that every time I need to use F11 to choose SSD to get into windows.

Can I restore my PC to a previous date when my PC was working good?

Or my SATA cable is an issue?

I installed western digital software since I have cloud storage. Could that software install might have caused the issue?

In addition I can't save any big files such as 3 or 4 GB to my PC. It just hangs and stays there.

I tried to open disk management and it keeps loading.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Is your boot drive that 128 GB SSD? If so, how full?

Have you been able to check that the SSD and other drives, as applicable, are fully and firmly plugged in: data and power?

If you continually need to reset/reconfigure BIOS then install a new fresh CMOS battery.

vikash23

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
1 x 120GB Mushkin Chronos 2.5" 7mm SATA 6GB/s (SATA-III) Solid State Drive @ 45.98GBP
1 x Intel Core i5-4440 3.10GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail @ 127.19GBP
1 x MSI Z87M-G43 Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro-ATX Motherboard @ 68.99GBP
1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz Single Module @ 29.99GBP
1 x Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps N PCI Express Wireless Network Card + Low Profile Bracket @ 14.99GBP
1 x Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g High Performance Thermal Compound @ 4.73GBP
1 x 450W XFX Pro Core Edition 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply [P1-450S-X2B9] @ 36.66GBP
1 x LG UH12NS30 Internal 12 x Blu Ray Read 16x DVD Write Combo Drive - OEM @ 41.70GBP
1 x Asus VE228TR Widescreen 21.5 inch LED Monitor @ 89.99GBP
Windows 10 64 bit - installed in my SSD
1 X PNY GTX1650 vcg16504d6dfppb
1 X Hitachi 2TB hard disk HDD
1 X HDD 1TB seagate hard disk

Above is my full spec.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? - It was bought in 2014. Condition is good so far. Never had any issue and I bought my GTX1650 just 3 weeks before and still my PC was working OK . No issues.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full? -
1 X Hitachi 2TB hard disk HDD - used for just only data storage like photos and videos - 70% used
1 X HDD 1TB seagate hard disk - 0% used. (Initially I used in my laptop where OS is installed, I replaced with SSD and moved this HDD to my desktop and formatted it to use it as data storage in my desktop. Did a month ago and still my PC was working good. )
1 x 120GB Mushkin Chronos - 50 % full. OS is installed

Is your boot drive that 128 GB SSD? If so, how full? - Yes , 50% full

Have you been able to check that the SSD and other drives, as applicable, are fully and firmly plugged in: data and power? - Yes, SSD I removed all the plugs and replugged it, Still same issue.

Other two HDD (2TB and 1TB) I didnt check since I can see them once I logged in to my PC . Just to let you know I still can login and use my PC normally. I can use all applications. But the way I enter into my OS is different which I mentioned in my previous post with screenshots.

If you continually need to reset/reconfigure BIOS then install a new fresh CMOS battery - Not sure what you mean? I am aware where the CMOS battery is. Its a coin cell right?

The issue is that I can;t see my SSD in bios priority option but I can see when I press F11 and choose from there.