Question PC Boot loop, won’t start?

Oct 28, 2019
Hello. I have been playing the new call of duty and my PC was crashing.

I tried to boot it today and it keeps restarting on the boot. I’ve tried so much and I can’t get it to work. I’d love to avoid replacing all my components.

I have an i7 4790k
R9 390
16gb ram
Evga 750w 80+ gold psu

Any advice is appreciated I really can’t figure it out..

Hello. I have been playing the new call of duty and my PC was crashing.

I tried to boot it today and it keeps restarting on the boot. I’ve tried so much and I can’t get it to work. I’d love to avoid replacing all my components.

I have an i7 4790k
R9 390
16gb ram
Evga 750w 80+ gold psu

Any advice is appreciated I really can’t figure it out..

try updating the graphics card driver

check temperatures

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

is what i use

also what cooler are you using

and case ?

Oct 28, 2019
All drivers are up to date.
Here’s what happens as I don’t totally understand it.

I hit the power button, my PC lights come on.
seconds later, the pc shuts off, and it turns on again.
This continues to repeat with nothing happening.
Once or twice it has loaded to the windows login screen, but then it freezes and I have to turn it off.

Any advice?

Oct 28, 2019
restarting on the boot? meaning it POSTs? windows loads and reboots? exactly what is happening after you hit power on?

POST=Power On Self Test
Not sure. It restarts on the boot I guess?

I don’t get any bleeps at all, sometimes if I’m lucky I get the usual bleep of my computer powering on but it shuts off not long after.

Managed to get to boot options once and I tried resetting my windows install, but it got to 17% and froze so I had to shut off my pc.

just a idea try removing the graphics card out of the machine and plug hdmi to the into the motherboard

just to see if its a power supply issue

if this fails

try 1 stick of ram and if that fails try the other stick

also inspect the graphic card see if it has any bloated capacitors

Oct 28, 2019
just a idea try removing the graphics card out of the machine and plug hdmi to the into the motherboard

just to see if its a power supply issue

if this fails

try 1 stick of ram and if that fails try the other stick

also inspect the graphic card see if it has any bloated capacitors
I unplugged the graphics card already and plugged the DVI into the mobo.
The problem still persists :(

Oct 28, 2019
do you have access to another PSU? friend or relative. you could try swapping out PSUs. if their PC does the same its the PSU.
this sounds like a power issue
I don’t sadly. I live in London now and have moved away from all my friends that I could have borrowed from potentially. I could order one but don’t want to buy one if it’s not the issue really

Oct 28, 2019
did you try only using 1 stick of ram

otherwise it does sound like a power issue
Yes I tried that as well.
Is there any chance it’s the CPU? I assumed because of the crashing on the game it could have fried the CPU? It was reaching 82 degrees when loading into the game. The game has had lots of issues since release and i just assumed maybe it destroyed the CPU

Yes I tried that as well.
Is there any chance it’s the CPU? I assumed because of the crashing on the game it could have fried the CPU? It was reaching 82 degrees when loading into the game. The game has had lots of issues since release and i just assumed maybe it destroyed the CPU

82 degrees shooting up sounds like the thermal paste isnt applied properly or the cooler isnt attached right or a bad cooling fan

i would clean the cpu with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol 99.9

clean bottom of the cpu cooler with the
isopropyl alcohol 99.9 and cotton swab

wait till dry

then re apply thermal paste very thin layer over the entire spreader

reattach cooler

paste i recomend
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 W

Oct 28, 2019
82 degrees shooting up sounds like the thermal paste isnt applied properly or the cooler isnt attached right or a bad cooling fan

i would clean the cpu with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol 99.9

wait till dry

then re apply thermal paste very thin layer over the entire spreader

reattach cooler

paste i recomend
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 W
It goes to 82 from about 69/70 when running the game.

I have had the pc working from 2016 and have never had an issue so is it likely to just cause problems like this all of a sudden?
I’ll have to order some thermal paste as I don’t have any with me at my current place.

It goes to 82 from about 69/70 when running the game.

I have had the pc working from 2016 and have never had an issue so is it likely to just cause problems like this all of a sudden?
I’ll have to order some thermal paste as I don’t have any with me at my current place.

depends if you used the stock paste with the cooler if so then yes as the stock junk is just horrid

are you overclocking ?

if your not occing you should be sitting at roughly 40-50 idle and 70 max

It was Arctic silver 5, just looked at my purchase history. Is this one likely to dry up fast ?

yes after a few years it can dry its also electric conductive so when removing the paste be careful as hell not to get it on anything on the motherboard etc as you can short your components

i never use this stuff as its to much of a risk ive always recomended mx4 arctic as its non electric conductive

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 W ive used both in computers both have lasted about 5 years and going strong still

its common practice to keep an eye on temps after a few years on any pc

Oct 28, 2019
yes after a few years it can dry its also electric conductive so when removing the paste be careful as hell not to get it on anything on the motherboard etc as you can short your components

i never use this stuff as its to much of a risk ive always recomended mx4 arctic as its non electric conductive

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 12.5 W ive used both in computers both have lasted about 5 years and going strong still

its common practice to keep an eye on temps after a few years on any pc
Ok thank you. I will replace the paste and see how it goes.
is it possible that after replacing the paste everything will go back to normal? Or could I have caused some more serious damage from the overheating?

finally, could I use surgical spirit to remove the paste or do I have to use the 99% isopropyl alcohol like you recommended?

thanks for all the help so far :)

Ok thank you. I will replace the paste and see how it goes.
is it possible that after replacing the paste everything will go back to normal? Or could I have caused some more serious damage from the overheating?

finally, could I use surgical spirit to remove the paste or do I have to use the 99% isopropyl alcohol like you recommended?

thanks for all the help so far :)

99% isopropyl alcohol only

i wouldnt use surgical spirit that would probly make it worse

it should go right back to normal. however its always possible to cause damage judging by the fact that your still getting into the computer before it freezes or locks up makes me believe the motherboard or cpu is trying to protect itself i could link you to all you need if you like ?