Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

My PC is a Ryzen 1700 (nh d15 cooler)
5600xt GPU,
Team Elite Plus 16gb (2x8) DDR4 2400
EVGA 600 B1 PSU
MSI Tomahawk B350 Motherboard

Since I purchased the 5600xt, I wanted to install my old GPU (AMD 290 sapphire tri x) into the family PC, and also bought Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 for my PC (The PC with the above specs). I knew something was going to go wrong.
Well, I ended up slightly bending 3 pins in my ryzen 1700 trying to remove the cooler. My PC would not boot or turn on at all. I managed to bend the 3 pins back to their normal position, and installed the new RAM.
My PC booted just fine after fixing the pins and installing the new RAM. Everything was back to normal with my PC.
Then, an hour or so later, I saw that my RAM was set to 2400 and it said I had to enable XMP. I did that and also OC my CPU to it's original 3.8 with 1.385v that I have had since I bought the CPU in 2017.
After it rebooted the first couple of times, I thought it was the OC. So, I just went with the default settings and no OC, but it would still boot loop.
I have disabled XMP, taken out the new RAM and put my old ones back in, have reset CMOS, have unplugged all USB devices and booted with only one ram stick.
Could the bent CPU pins still be the issue even if I was using the PC normally after fixing it?
I have a 2200g CPU but am scared to start messing with that one now! Any advice?
Thanks for reading!

I forgot to me to mention that my PC reboots after a second or two when viewing BIOS. I can go into the BIOS like normal

Last edited:
Solution
To my knowledge you shouldn't need to update the bios to use the onboard video output, though now that I think of it you could try updating the bios to rule out any incompatibility with your new ram.
While unlikely your issues could've been caused by loose connections between the unbent pins and the motherboard And the reinstallation may have fixed it somewhat.
You can only hope for the best with this kind of thing

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
I just installed the 2200g on my PC and it doesn't even display anything now.
With the 1700 with fixed pins at least would display and I could access the BIOS.

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
Have you tried switching to the motherboard video output as opposed to the graphics card when testing with the 2200g?
A bios buzzer could help narrow down the issue with your bootloops (beeps a post code which translates to why it has failed to post)

Reactions: Landoe

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Thanks for the reply!
I wll try to find pc speakers and listen
Hopefully this isn't confusing. I put the 2200g in the PC that had the 1700. Since the 1700 doesn't include an integrated GPU, I think I need a different BIOS version? I was up to date on all BIOS upgrades through msi Live app before this mess.

Here is what just happened:
I put the 1700 with fixed pins into the PC that had the 2200g, and it booted perfectly and has been running for 30min.
I've tested all ram with the running pc and they all work. My 5600xt is running in the running pc as well, so definitely not gpu issue.
Only thing left is Mobo? All lights and peripherals work on my Mobo (msi tomahawk b350).
The current machina that is working has
Msi pro vdh b350m
Ryzen 1700 with fixed pins
one 8gb stick of ram 2400
5600xt

Last edited:

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
To my knowledge you shouldn't need to update the bios to use the onboard video output, though now that I think of it you could try updating the bios to rule out any incompatibility with your new ram.
While unlikely your issues could've been caused by loose connections between the unbent pins and the motherboard And the reinstallation may have fixed it somewhat.
You can only hope for the best with this kind of thing

Solution

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Thanks!
Well, I've tested every component except for PSU and motherboard and still get boot looping

Not sure what to do at this point but to get a new Mobo since I doubt its the psu

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
So, I managed to get it to boot to a desktop by reinstalling windows. My Mobo doesn't show any LED on the ez debug now.
Case closed? It doesn't seem like windows was the issue, no?
Also, I think this started because I enabled xmp to take advantage of the 3200mhz. Should I even attempt to do that again?

Last edited:

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
So, I managed to get it to boot to a desktop by reinstalling windows. My Mobo doesn't show any LED on the ez debug now.
Case closed? It doesn't seem like windows was the issue, no?
Also, I think this started because I enabled xmp to take advantage of the 3200mhz. Should I even attempt to do that again?
You should try updating the bios to the latest version and then re enable xmp, what did the lights say during your bootloops?

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
You should try updating the bios to the latest version and then re enable xmp, what did the lights say during your bootloops?

Well, everything worked out and I'm going to explain it in case someone else is as clueless as me.

I have done all updates of mobo through msi live 6. Well, the reason my PC went into boot loop after I enabled XMP is because I had the old, 2017 BIOS.
Lesson learned, never update BIOS through MSI Live Update 6.
I had to reinstall Windows to stop the boot loop.
I updated the BIOS with USB drive to the most recent one.
Now, I am running 3200mhz ram and my CPU at 3.9ghz! 100mhz more than before with the same voltage! I can push it to 4 but am fine with 3.9 and don't want to push my luck.

Thanks for the help :)

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
Well, everything worked out and I'm going to explain it in case someone else is as clueless as me.

I have done all updates of mobo through msi live 6. Well, the reason my PC went into boot loop after I enabled XMP is because I had the old, 2017 BIOS.
Lesson learned, never update BIOS through MSI Live Update 6.
I had to reinstall Windows to stop the boot loop.
I updated the BIOS with USB drive to the most recent one.
Now, I am running 3200mhz ram and my CPU at 3.9ghz! 100mhz more than before with the same voltage! I can push it to 4 but am fine with 3.9 and don't want to push my luck.

Thanks for the help :)
Happy to have helped

Landoe

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
I am now running at 4ghz @1.35 volts, I used to have to run 3.8ghz @1.375 pre BIOS update. Crazy!
Can I keep lowering the voltage to see how low I can get away with or is am I just asking for trouble?

EDIT: 15min after writing it, it crashed under prime95! Boo. Will go back to 3.9ghz

Last edited:

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
I am now running at 4ghz @1.35 volts, I used to have to run 3.8ghz @1.375 pre BIOS update. Crazy!
Can I keep lowering the voltage to see how low I can get away with or is am I just asking for trouble?

EDIT: 15min after writing it, it crashed under prime95! Boo. Will go back to 3.9ghz
Shame, but to answer your previous question there's generally no risk in overclocking a Ryzen chip so long as you stay under the 1.4 volts threshold, you can still run it above but run the risk of long term degradation. Other than that running lower voltages is fine it just might become unstable like prime 95 has just proven lol.
Good luck getting it stable