[SOLVED] PC Boot Loops, Eventually turns on.

Jul 18, 2021
I have a strange issue with my PC.

I turn my PC on and sometimes it boot loops, it boot loops for about 5 minutes, sometimes longer, but eventually, the PC finally turns on after boot looping. Other times the PC starts up as normal.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while, I have tested the PSU with a multimeter, seeing if all of the pins on the 24 Pin connector are delivering the right voltage, which it is, so I don't believe it is a PSU issue. I have breadboarded the PC and swapped the RAM. I have also replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and replaced the CMOS battery. Doing all of this didn't solve the issue so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be, I suspect that it is the motherboard.

Specs:
CPU: i7 7700k
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock Cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti ARMOR 8G 8 GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3 (Socket-1151, 4x DDR4, ATX)
PSU: Corsair VS Series™ VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® White

Solution
If anyone has anymore ideas, that would be much appreciated

Your Bios may have been corrupted so a reflash or update may be necessary.
Your Motherboard Bios is available for download here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270P-D3-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios The current Bios is F8.
Once you get your Bios back it is also advisable to update the chipset.

Please be careful when updating Bios as there is a risk of bricking your Bios if it is not done correctly or there is a chance of power interruption.

I can guide you thru the process if need be.
I see you have dual Bios so try that first.
Hi Kalin (y) and Welcome to the Forum:dawa:

Your CPU supports up to DDR4-2133/2400 and mixing kits is not a good idea even if what you mix have exactly the same specs.
RAM Manufactures warn of this and the reason why they binn modules into kits for CAS Latency matching.
You may have to Tweak your Bios DRAM Timings and voltage manually however with no guarantee.
The mixing of kits sometimes boot loops during post, because your Bios is confused. Sometimes it gets the SPD correctly and other times it tries again to set a safe set of values that Boots successfully.
Try with just the (2x8) CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 kit and if they work with Your XMP then keep the others for spares.

Jul 18, 2021
Hi,

This wouldn't be an issue if I only had one RAM kit correct? I have tried removing the other RAM kit, but that still causes the PC to boot loop. It has been booting fine before and has only been doing this since November 2020 as I moved the computer in the car, so I believe something got damaged, I just can't figure out what.

If anyone has anymore ideas, that would be much appreciated

Your Bios may have been corrupted so a reflash or update may be necessary.
Your Motherboard Bios is available for download here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270P-D3-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios The current Bios is F8.
Once you get your Bios back it is also advisable to update the chipset.

Please be careful when updating Bios as there is a risk of bricking your Bios if it is not done correctly or there is a chance of power interruption.

I can guide you thru the process if need be.
I see you have dual Bios so try that first.

Last edited:
Solution