[SOLVED] PC Boot Problem (video)

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Good evening,

My pc will not boot, it keeps turning on and off every second and a half. It was working fine last week and I have never ran into this problem before. I did the paper clip test with my PSU and the fan was spinning but I have yet to test with another PSU which is going to be a big pain in the ass! I recorded a video so maybe that will help someone identify the problem. I do not use my pc daily. Any help is greatly appreciated! :giggle:

View: https://youtu.be/jrIX9YXD4ZQ

ASUS Z97-A
i7 4770k
Corsair H50 cooler
Gtx 970 ftw
Gskill 4x4
EVGA supernova 800w

Solution
YOU can disconnect everything not critical to POSTING, disconnect all drives' power and data cables, uneeded USB headers to front panel (in case shorted), etc...

If rig will still not stay powered on, perhaps PSU is weak/failing... The fact that it will power on with no load and stay on w/ a so-called 'paper clip' test is not all that informative, as the PSU is then under a no-load condition, so even if it 'works' then, it can easily still suck when under load from mainboard and GPU. If you do use another PSU, be sure to change ALL modular cables, assuming you do not want to destroy assorted drives, GPU, mainboard :)

Your GPU could be bad, or overloading the weak PSU...; you could remove the GPU, and try running from integrated video...
YOU can disconnect everything not critical to POSTING, disconnect all drives' power and data cables, uneeded USB headers to front panel (in case shorted), etc...

If rig will still not stay powered on, perhaps PSU is weak/failing... The fact that it will power on with no load and stay on w/ a so-called 'paper clip' test is not all that informative, as the PSU is then under a no-load condition, so even if it 'works' then, it can easily still suck when under load from mainboard and GPU. If you do use another PSU, be sure to change ALL modular cables, assuming you do not want to destroy assorted drives, GPU, mainboard :)

Your GPU could be bad, or overloading the weak PSU...; you could remove the GPU, and try running from integrated video if your mainboard /CPU combo supports integrated video.

Solution

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Your GPU could be bad, or overloading the weak PSU...; you could remove the GPU, and try running from integrated video if your mainboard /CPU combo supports integrated video.
Yeah I will try booting without gpu and see what happens tomorrow. It’s gonna be a pain but I’ll have to take my girlfriends PSU out and put it in my rig to see as well. Crossing my fingers it’s the PSU. Thanks for your info man.

crazymarc

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Well I switched PSUs to an EVGA 600w and the same issue persisted. I took out the gpu and the ram and still no boot or post so I’m I assume it’s either the mobo or cpu. Hopefully the mobo lol.