[SOLVED] PC booting and shutting down again after 1-2 seconds

Feb 26, 2020
Hi All,

Recently ran into an issue.
Was on my PC, all of a sudden all periferals stop working, mouse, keyboard etc. A few seconds later PC crashes. I'm like "what the hell" and try to restart.
The PC booted, and then crashed again after about 5 seconds.
It continued in this boot loop for some time. I have tried reseting the CMOS, disconnecting and reconnecting the CMOS battery and even replaced the whole Motherboard to see if that was dead.
The restart loop has stopped, but now when I press the power button, it boots for 1 sec and the crashes again, and does not attempt to restart.
Coming here for advise now- please help!

Specs are below;

-Intel i5 7600 CPU
-Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU
-16 GB Corsair Vengence RAM DDR4
-Thermaltake 500W PSU
-GIGABYTE H310M S2H Coffee Lake Motherboard DDR4
- SATA Kingston 1 TB SSD

Cheers in advance!

Solution
It's a very poor idea to pair a GTX 1080 with an entry-level power supply. The least expensive PSU I'd be willing to use with an xx80 GPU is a Corsair CX 650, but in truth, even that's pushing it with an expensive GPU. If I were using a 1080 in my rig, a >600 watt SeaSonic Focus/Prime, EVGA G2/GS/T2/P2/G3, Corsair RM/RMx, BitFenix Whisper is what I'd be using.

Also, please check your exact components. An H310 motherboard wouldn't run an i5-7600; the sockets that run Kaby Lake CPUs and Coffee Lake CPUs are electrically incompatible. It's important for these types of questions to know what your exact hardware is!

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a very poor idea to pair a GTX 1080 with an entry-level power supply. The least expensive PSU I'd be willing to use with an xx80 GPU is a Corsair CX 650, but in truth, even that's pushing it with an expensive GPU. If I were using a 1080 in my rig, a >600 watt SeaSonic Focus/Prime, EVGA G2/GS/T2/P2/G3, Corsair RM/RMx, BitFenix Whisper is what I'd be using.

Also, please check your exact components. An H310 motherboard wouldn't run an i5-7600; the sockets that run Kaby Lake CPUs and Coffee Lake CPUs are electrically incompatible. It's important for these types of questions to know what your exact hardware is!

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Solution
Feb 26, 2020
The Coffee Lake is the new motherboard that I have since replaced.
Seeing as I haven't yet had the PC functional with these components, I didn't know that it wouldn't be compatable.
I am trying a more powerful PSU tomorrow and seeing if that will help the issue.

DSzymborski

Titan
The Coffee Lake is the new motherboard that I have since replaced.
Seeing as I haven't yet had the PC functional with these components, I didn't know that it wouldn't be compatable.
I am trying a more powerful PSU tomorrow and seeing if that will help the issue.

What do you mean the new motherboard that you have since replaced? What's the new, new motherboard? And the original motherboard that ran these components that caused you to suddenly crash?

I feel like there's a lot of information missing here, both components and in the timeline of events.

Feb 26, 2020
Right I'll clarify.
My original motherboard (Gigabyte G1 Skylake) developed what I believed to be a fault (the fault in the original post), so it was replaced with the Gigabyte Coffee Lake mentioned above. At the time which I got the Coffee Lake, I didn't know about the backwards comparability issue.
I've got a new PSU recommended by yourself, and will see if this will help the issue.
Apologies for the confusion.