Question PC booting BIOS with Windows Boot #1

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
Hey everyone, if this question is already answered please point me in the direction because I couldn't find anything on it.

Anyway my booting has been a bit weird over the last few weeks, if my PC crashes for whatever reason my Boot #1 preference in BIOS gets changed to Network for whatever reason and I change it back to my SSD and it boots fine. Then on top of that, today it acknowledged the connection to the SSD with Windows on it, it also showed that the Boot #1 was not only the SSD but the windows boot file inside, but it still never booted through Windows until I did the override boot option and chose windows and then it booted normally. Just need some help on whether this is a hardware or software problem whether I need to update a component or what, happy to answer any questions about it as well if that helps. Thanks!

Hey everyone, if this question is already answered please point me in the direction because I couldn't find anything on it.

Anyway my booting has been a bit weird over the last few weeks, if my PC crashes for whatever reason my Boot #1 preference in BIOS gets changed to Network for whatever reason and I change it back to my SSD and it boots fine. Then on top of that, today it acknowledged the connection to the SSD with Windows on it, it also showed that the Boot #1 was not only the SSD but the windows boot file inside, but it still never booted through Windows until I did the override boot option and chose windows and then it booted normally. Just need some help on whether this is a hardware or software problem whether I need to update a component or what, happy to answer any questions about it as well if that helps. Thanks!
Well for starters, how old is the cmos battery that allows the bios to retain the boot priority setting? When the boot priority seems to change itself or forget your prior setting that would be a suspect. Meanwhile you could tell us the motherboard make and model.

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
Well for starters, how old is the cmos battery that allows the bios to retain the boot priority setting? When the boot priority seems to change itself or forget your prior setting that would be a suspect. Meanwhile you could tell us the motherboard make and model.
The mother board is a MSI Z370 Gaming M5, the PC is around 5 years old so the CMOS battery would be around that old too.

TRENDING THREADS