Question PC booting directly to BIOS; Doesn't recognize HDD as bootable device

Aug 10, 2019
Hey guys,

Have a new build and I am having a lot of trouble with the booting process and am very frustrated.

I just did a fresh install of windows 10 onto my HDD from a USB stick, which seemed to work. It says installed and all the partitions are created as usual. But now, my PC boots straight to BIOS unless that USB stick is inserted (then it takes me back to install wizard).

What is confusing me is that my HDD no longer shows up as a bootable device after I installed Windows 10 on it. All that shows up in my devices is Windows Boot Manager, which doesn't even come up when I boot the PC. It just takes me straight to BIOS no matter what. I have tried to boot override but there is nothing listed to override with.

I went into Repair my PC when I had the USB stick inserted, but the repair tool says it cannot fix my PC. I also went into command prompt and looked at diskpart and ensured that the drive is there, set to volume 0, formatted as NTFS, and listed as a C drive. When I scanned for windows installations in command prompt, it said there were none. I have tried reinstalling windows a number of times as well.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
HDD: WD Black 1TB
CPU: i5-9600k
VGA: GTX 2070

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

dannyrg85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
I doubt this will fix your issue but it is worth a try. I have had really weirs issues with booting before and the fix was to remove certain USB connected devices. The first time it was my headset the next time it was my mouse. I would try booting the pc with no usb inputs at all. Like I said this is probably something else, but hey worth a try!

Aug 10, 2019
I doubt this will fix your issue but it is worth a try. I have had really weirs issues with booting before and the fix was to remove certain USB connected devices. The first time it was my headset the next time it was my mouse. I would try booting the pc with no usb inputs at all. Like I said this is probably something else, but hey worth a try!

Just tried it and unfortunately it didnt work. Thanks for the suggestion though!