Question PC booting up weirdly - is this a motherboard issue?

Zevolish

Honorable
Mar 25, 2017
I am having trouble with booting up my PC. Yesterday, at the very start of the day of opening the PC it did not signal anything to the display. The fans were running, CPUs, GPUs, case fans', and as well as LEDs were on during that time. However, I noticed that one specific LED was not turning on, which was on the motherboard. Specifically, the yellow strip of light on the lower left of the mobo in this picture:
smartfan6.png

Only in the instances where the PC actually boots up, the yellow LED lights up.

At first, I had to restart, and it went straight to the BIOS saying "Boot failure detected", I chose to enter BIOS, and I ended up not changing anything at all, I proceeded to boot up to Windows, worked, and went on my day. But today, after 3 restarts, there was still no display. I tried to reseat the RAM and GPU and to my luck, it booted, but now I'm starting to worry because I went to monitor the PC, checked each part on CPU-Z and Task Manager, and I found out that my RAM settings were back from 3200hz, to 2666hz. I'm not sure where to look to diagnose better, but these were by far what I only found.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard - B560M DS3H V2
CPU - i5-11400
GPU - Palit GTX 1050 Ti
RAM - XPG Gammix D20 8GB DDR4 3200 2x
PSU - Corsair CV450 80+ Bronze

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Your RAM has dropped out of the XMP 3200MT/s overclock setting back to the default JEDEC 2666MT/s setting. This is perfectly normal behaviour when you clear the BIOS or remove the CR2032 battery.

I'd be inclined to leave the RAM at 2666MT/s for a few days, just to see if the problem is an unstable XMP overclock.

Do you have your DIMMs plugged into the sockets recommended by the manufacturer in the mobo user guide? These are usually slots A2/B2.

Zevolish

Honorable
Mar 25, 2017
The yellow strip of light is essentially the standby LED for the board. You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age.

If you're unable to get to POST, I'd try and flash the BIOS using the Q-Flash Plus option on your board;
page 6 in the manual above, in conjunction with the white button at the bottom of your motherboard.
Sorry forgot to add that, my PSU is a Corsair CV450 80+ Bronze. It's about a year old now, I'll edit it into my specs. I'll try flashing the BIOS when it doesn't POST again.
Your RAM has dropped out of the XMP 3200MT/s overclock setting back to the default JEDEC 2666MT/s setting. This is perfectly normal behaviour when you clear the BIOS or remove the CR2032 battery.

I'd be inclined to leave the RAM at 2666MT/s for a few days, just to see if the problem is an unstable XMP overclock.

Do you have your DIMMs plugged into the sockets recommended by the manufacturer in the mobo user guide? These are usually slots A2/B2.
It was weird because I haven't changed anything on the BIOS, and as far as I know, the only parts I've handled so far are the GPU and RAM for reseating when it didn't try to post. For the RAM, I've had it plugged into the A2/B2 slots since I've had the PC. I'll try to let it stay at the default settings for a while, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts