Question PC bootlooping after power outage (Possible RAM issue)

Jan 23, 2021
Yesterday the power to my pc shut off suddenly after a neighborhood power outage, and after I turned it back on (a couple hours after the outage) my PC started boot looping. I assumed something was wrong with the bios so I took out the cmos battery and waited around 30 minutes. In that time I also took my two sticks of ram out and placed one back in case they got unset somehow. I put the cmos back in and unplugged my gpu, secondary hard drive, and all usb devices leaving just my ssd with windows, cpu, psu, motherboard, and one 8gb stick of ram. The computer still boot looped on startup and would'nt even post, so I tried taking out the cmos again and this time booted without ram. On this no ram attempt the computer was able to get to POST and beeped 5 times before shutting off again. I have a gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H motherboard and from what I've looked up, continuous long beeps (I couldnt find a gigabyte code specifically for 5 long beeps) just signifies a cpu or memory problem (which makes sense as there is no ram). I attempted to boot mutliple times switching the ram and switching around the slots and no attempt has gotten to post (although the fans do turn on with each attempt to power on).

At first I thought this might have been a psu issue because of the power outage, but from my troubleshooting it seems likely to be a RAM issue. I just wanted to get some other opinions, is it safe to assume both sticks of ram broke from the power outage or is that unlikely? or could this possibly be a motherboard or psu issue (maybe even software)? I ordered another identical stick of ram that should arrive in a week to see if the sticks I have are broken or if its a different issue. It seems strange to me that both of my sticks of RAM would break after a simple power outage but it appears to be the only explanation that I can think of.

Specs:
cpu: i5-6600
ram: (2x) corsair vengeance LPX ddr4 8gb dram 2400MHz
gpu: gigabyte gtx 1070
motherboard: gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H
psu: TS XFX ATX12V/EPS12V 650W Power Supply P1-650G-TS3X

Computer was built about 3 years ago

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS