[SOLVED] PC Boots and shuts down 3 times before booting

Jan 1, 2019
I have had this pc for about a month maybe alittle longer and i never really asked if this was a problem. When i turn on my pc i will turn the power switch on my psu on and then push the power button. It always boots and turns off 3 times before actually booting all the way. Is this just like a safe boot mode since i turn of my psu power switch?

PC SPECS:
asus rog maximus xi hero (wifi)
16gb tridentz ram 3200mhz
msi rtx armor 2070
i7 8700k (not oc)

Solution
Ok, we get this from users every so often, so as I have in the past I will ask again, WHY in the world would you switch the power off on the back of the PSU? The only time that should be switched off is if you are going to be working inside the case or resetting the CMOS. Any other time, just shutting down via the start menu in Windows or by using the power button on the case is all you need. When you remove power by switching off the PSU, you are essentially requiring the CMOS to retrain the memory and storage configuration.

Depending on the board model it is probable that cutting power in this way is forcing a retrain of the memory, and is a normal behavior if it works normally when you shut down or restart using normal methods.
That is the memory training cycle, and it should only repeat that sequence ONCE after a change of memory configuration, if that. Some boards will do that based on what is required to train the memory, some will train in one attempt. My guess would be there is a problem with your memory configuration and the system is unable in three attempts to train the memory to a configuration that is stable, and is reverting to the stock memory configuration of 2133mhz, or whatever lower speed it is able to achieve a stable configuration with.

Do you have your XMP profile set in the BIOS, or did you just "set" the memory to 3200mhz? I would try enabling the XMP profile first, and then if you still get the same sequence, try bumping the DRAM (Memory) voltage by about .005v in the BIOS memory options.

Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

Jan 1, 2019
That is the memory training cycle, and it should only repeat that sequence ONCE after a change of memory configuration, if that. Some boards will do that based on what is required to train the memory, some will train in one attempt. My guess would be there is a problem with your memory configuration and the system is unable in three attempts to train the memory to a configuration that is stable, and is reverting to the stock memory configuration of 2133mhz, or whatever lower speed it is able to achieve a stable configuration with.

Do you have your XMP profile set in the BIOS, or did you just "set" the memory to 3200mhz? I would try enabling the XMP profile first, and then if you still get the same sequence, try bumping the DRAM (Memory) voltage by about .005v in the BIOS memory options.

Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots away from the CPU.

thanks for the quick reply. i did use the xmp profile and it says my ram is running at 3200mhz. the only time it boots 3 times is when i turn the switch off on my psu, if i leave my psu power on and shut my pc off and then turn it on it doesnt boot 3 times. The ram is using dual channel aswell they are in a2 and b2

Ok, we get this from users every so often, so as I have in the past I will ask again, WHY in the world would you switch the power off on the back of the PSU? The only time that should be switched off is if you are going to be working inside the case or resetting the CMOS. Any other time, just shutting down via the start menu in Windows or by using the power button on the case is all you need. When you remove power by switching off the PSU, you are essentially requiring the CMOS to retrain the memory and storage configuration.

Depending on the board model it is probable that cutting power in this way is forcing a retrain of the memory, and is a normal behavior if it works normally when you shut down or restart using normal methods.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS