[SOLVED] PC Boots but Monitor + Peripherals don't respond

May 10, 2020
Hi, first time poster on this forum sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
Firstly, yes I have read and gone through everything on the sticky'd post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
I have also gone through numerous other similar threads and they've either had no replies or didn't fix the issue.

TL;DR: Got home to find my computer physically boots but no peripherals detect a signal (monitor says no signal, mouse/kbd dont light up), as screen is black I can't even get to BIOS to troubleshoot software. Tried replacing CMOS motherboard battery and trying peripherals on different PC, where they worked fine. So PC turns on, lights up, fans spin, but nothing plugged into PC works at all.

My system specs:
MSI B450M Gaming Plus Motherboard (mATX)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X w/ stock cooler
ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB strix (DC206G)
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
Samsung QVO 860 2.5in SATA SSD 1TB
Corsair TX550W Gold power supply
idk if this is worth adding but Thermaltake Versa J21 TG Edition Mid Tower Chassis

*Everything purchased in the same cart at the same time from PC Case Gear in August 2019.

Peripherals:
Steelseries Sensei (usb connected)
Ducky One Two 100% led keyboard (usb connected)
Audio Technica AT9934 microphone (usb connected)
AKAI MPK Mini MIDI keyboard/controller (usb connected)
Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 Audio Interface/Pre-amp (usb connected)
ACER 1440p 144Hz 1ms 27" monitor, can't track down the model number right now

The problem:
I haven't had a single problem with any of my hardware since I built this PC in August, I am a beginner and this was my first computer but nothing has gone wrong so far.
I got home from my girlfriend's last night and turned on my computer, after a black screen I turned the monitor off and on again, checked inputs (theres only 1 Display port), checked cords,
restarted PC by holding down the power button for 5ish seconds and tried again. I noticed the PC without the DP cable in said no cable connected, and when it was connected it said no signal.
So my computer physically looks fine, it powers up normally, makes the same sounds, the LED power button switches on like it does usually, but none of my peripherals (which all have some sort of LED power indication) switch on, nor does my monitor. In my limited experience I thought that was a motherboard issue, but then why would the Monitor not get any signal if its plugged into my GTX1060, not my MOBO?

So I did a full power down, turning it off, switching PSU off, pulling plug, pressing power button for 30+ secs to drain power, and plugging back in in the same order, nothing happened.
I plugged my monitor and my peripherals into my housemates PC which is very similar in parts to mine, everything worked fine.
I also plugged in my phone charger to one of the USB's and got a "this accessory is not supported"popup.

I have tried replacing the CMOS battery (using a Duracell CR2032 battery) and that did nothing either.

I have a few sneaking suspicions as to what may have contributed to the fault in my PC:
1. I had some Logitech Z623 speakers+sub connected to the same powerboard my desk setup uses, and was frequently plugging it into my frontal headphone jack to hear audio as I was waiting for my audio interface to arrive. After a few hours of doing this i started to hear static through the speakers and then nothing at all, not even my headphones would play audio directly through my PC. So I assumed I had fried the inbuilt sound card in my MOBO but wasn't too worried because I had my aforementioned Audio Interface coming in the mail. After I had set that up everything worked fine, all audio ran through the interface worked perfectly and that was that. Then last night I got home from my girlfriends house and found my speakers were gone at my desk, my roommates said they'd moved them into the living room so they must have had to un-wire it from behind my desk and unplug it from the power board my setup utilises. Seeing as this issue has never occured before I admittedly blamed my roommates straight away for messing with my speakers without asking and messing with my cable management and power board setup, but they insisted they were careful and didn't notice anything when unplugging.

Is it possible that somehow the powerboard has shorted from the disconnection of the speakers or something like that, and then fried my motherboard completely? or overloaded my PSU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Solution
Power on with no POST typically indicates a faulty component or a seating issue. Perhaps despite your roommates being careful, they bumped the machine and dislodged something? The video card would be my bet, but I would suggest opening up the case and pulling out not only the video card, but also all but one stick of RAM, and all storage devices.

Once that is done, reconnect the video card with firm pressure when re-inserting it into the slot, but of course don't force it in. Reconnect your monitor and see what happens. If the screen shows an image, power down again and start reinstalling and reconnecting hardware until you either run into the issue again, or everything is reinstalled and it works.
May 10, 2020
What's a "powerboard"?

A power board, also known as, power strip, power bar, plug board, pivot plug, trailing gang, trailing socket, plug bar, trailer lead, multi-socket, multi-box, socket board, super plug, multiple socket, multiple outlet, polysocket and by many other variations'

Just a board you plug into the wall socket to have more sockets

Power on with no POST typically indicates a faulty component or a seating issue. Perhaps despite your roommates being careful, they bumped the machine and dislodged something? The video card would be my bet, but I would suggest opening up the case and pulling out not only the video card, but also all but one stick of RAM, and all storage devices.

Once that is done, reconnect the video card with firm pressure when re-inserting it into the slot, but of course don't force it in. Reconnect your monitor and see what happens. If the screen shows an image, power down again and start reinstalling and reconnecting hardware until you either run into the issue again, or everything is reinstalled and it works.

Solution
May 10, 2020

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll let you know how that goes when I'm home from work.

Reactions: The_Prophecy