Question PC boots but no output signal- need help with sisters pc

May 23, 2022
So my sister recently (December 27 2021) decided she wanted to build her own PC. She does digital art and likes to play VRChat but she didn’t have the greatest budget in the world (16 y/o) so we went mostly with bare minimum requirements but just a bit over. Everything was bought brand new from either amazon or newegg. Original means what we originally bought, and changed to is what we replaced it with when trying to fix. Here is her specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6 Core Processor

CPU Cooler - (Originally)ID-Cooling SE-224-XT 76.16 CFM (Changed to) AMD branded CPU fan. Not sure specific model, waiting on confirmation.

Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II ATX AM4

RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8gb)

Storage - (Originally) Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB m.2 SSD (Changed to) Hard drive of same storage equivalence, just not an m.2

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1650 G5 4GB Ventus XS OC

PSU - (Originally) EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX (Changed to) I think the same psu or different brand equivalent, waiting on confirmation.

Case - Apevia Predator ATX Mid Tower Case

TL;DR- My sisters pc has no output signal or power in gpu or cpu, despite already replacing almost every single part (mobo, cpu, psu, hard drive). It worked fine for weeks until Oculus crashed it and caused pc to boot but no output from gpu/power at cpu.

So here is what happened. My boyfriend (who had built both his and mine, and a few friend’s, with 0 problems ever) built the PC with all of these parts that I listed as originally. This was in December. When we plugged the power cord in and hooked the pc up to my monitor to test it all, despite turning the switch on the psu on, and clicking the power button on the case itself, nothing turned on. We also noted that it smelled a bit odd, but shrugged it off. I looked at reddit and saw somebody said that sometimes the amount of case fans can trip out the mobo and avoid power, so we unplugged the case fans, and boom. It all powered on normally! Kind of. Everything was running but the display was acting.. odd. It wouldn’t bring us to BIOS for awhile. I’m not entirely sure what goes into setting up BIOS, but boyfriend said it was really odd and not normal, but eventually it was set up and windows was installed. The next day I started it up and it seemed to be working just fine. I set up her windows account, downloaded some things for her to get started (chrome, steam, etc) and then shut it down and brought it to my moms house where she lives.(On January 5th). Later that night, however, my sister informed me that the PC just randomly shut down when she was downloading a game on steam, and would not power back up. When I went to look at it, the case fans all lit and spun, but no output was functioning. As in, no display, keyboard and mouse were not lit up. I switched cables around did the basic troubleshooting but to no avail. The CPU light was on on the mobo debug light panel. We decided to take it to our friend who works on & builds PC’s for a living. He informed us that the odd smell we noticed was actually a faulty PSU, and it had burned up some parts when we first turned it on. So with that, we started out with returning the motherboard to amazon and getting a replacement. Since it was amazon, this went pretty quick. We were hopeful that the mobo was all that was damaged due to the PSU, but unfortunately not. The friend ended up replacing the PSU with one that he had in his stock, by the way, so we wouldn’t have to wait on a replacement for it in the mail. ((i’m currently waiting on a response from him to see what PSU it is specifically, I assume it is of the same wattage that she had before, but I’m waiting on confirmation!!!)). After installing the new PSU and Mobo, there were still some issues regarding the CPU, and after testing, it showed it was also damaged, whether it arrived faulty or got burned by the psu. Unfortunately by this time, it was out of the replacement window from amazon, so I had to go through AMD Warrenty which took awhile, but we got a brand new CPU (same spec). I also know that for some reason, the friend did put on a new CPU cooler fan. I don’t remember if it’s because ours was bad, or what went wrong. But he put an AMD branded fan on it. Im not sure the exact spec, but I can get it if it is super important. So, after installing the new mobo, cpu, psu, the pc started up! And output was working. For some odd reason, though, the new motherboard would not recognize the 1TB m.2 we had originally. He couldn’t figure it out, so we just did an even trade of a different type of hard drive (the SETA type??) and it worked just fine. He installed all of this, worked BIOS, installed windows, and boom. It was like a new pc, everything working perfectly. I brought the PC over to my mom’s (again), at this point it is now April 23rd. I set it up, sign her into her windows account, and leave. Everything works as it should and I was relieved, I felt so bad that she was without a PC for months that she spent her own money on. This is where today comes in. I just got a message from her saying her PC is turning on, but no display or output power to keyboard or mouse. I want to cry lmao. She says this “It seems to only shut itself off when I open my Oculus app through my headset to connect to my PC, but now the monitor wont even start up”, when I asked her if it had crashed before. Last Friday she said it crashed after doing art for 6 hours, but I didn’t think much of it until now. I don’t know the first thing about Oculus or VR lol. She said since thursday (19th) it has been doing crashes after certain things, but turning back on fine until today (23rd). I asked her to send me a pic of the motherboard, and fortunately (i think its a good sign?) this time there are no debug lights on on the debug panel. The case fans are all on, and the motherboard appears to be on as well, the RGB panel is lit up, the RAM is lighting up, but unfortunately thats where the good stops. The CPU fan is not spinning so I am assuming the CPU is not powering on. The GPU fans are also not spinning so I’m assuming the GPU is also not powering on, for some reason. It makes sense with the no output signals. I had her move her hdmi cable from the gpu to the motherboard, but still no display or output signal for some reason. I’m just stumped because pretty much every single part in the PC is brand new and replaced/warrantied. Even with the oculus completely disconnected, the PC will not boot up like normal. I’m honestly unsure of what caused it, it seems like the oculus drew too much power or something to cause everything to shut down, but I’m not sure why it will not reboot with it disconnected. Everything is plugged in tight and in the correct spots. She isn’t computer savvy and honestly I’m not a genius either, but it’s late tonight so I will be going over there tomorrow to look at it better and also see what PSU is in it if the friend doesn’t answer by then. I’m asking because i’m honestly at a loss. I know her specs aren’t the greatest in the world, but even the crappiest of laptops i’ve owned, and the tiny pc she was using in the meantime that has awful specs and only made for office work, didn’t ever crash like this, ever. I just want to have more information and possibly more troubleshooting I can know to do before I go look at it. I just feel so bad for her and I’m such a people pleaser, it’s probably upsetting me more than it is her lol. I’m so sorry for writing a book haha but I just want to be as detailed as possible. Please help!! I don’t know what else to do.

....Please help!! I don’t know what else to do.

With everything you've been through it's quite likely something really simple and basic that's been overlooked...follow the above guide step by step no matter how pedantic it may seem. If it can't help then you're overlooking something that you'll quite likely always overlook. That's the time you take it to a pro and pay for him to get it running for you. It won't be that expensive, certainly not considering how much you've already put into the hardware setting this thing up.

Reactions: wassadoin

Ralston18

Titan
Will her computer boot into Safe Mode?

lf and at the next successful boot launch Reliability History.

What error codes, warnings, and even informational events do you see with respect to any of the described problems and issues?

Likewise look in Event Viewer- make note of error codes, warnings, and informational events that are being captured therein. Much more complicated to navigate and use.

There is no urgency so take your time to learn how to navigate within each tool. Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.

The key is to determine what Windows may be finding and logging.

Occulus may or may not be involved.

Reactions: wassadoin