Question PC boots but no signal ?

ChangeFather

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
Hi! I have a problem: my PC boots but no signal is shown on the monitor. The CPU fan works, the PSU one too, the little green light near the 20+4 pin connector works but I get no signal. I tried to take out the ram sticks one by one and to reset the battery, didn't work. Also, a strange thing happens when I boot the PC up: my mouse/keyboard lights won't start but if I click the mouse, the lights work, for a second. I tried them on my sister's laptop and they work just fine. The only thing that I can't test is the GPU/PSU/CPU.
Specs:

i5 2400
Gtx 1050 2gb
4X2GB RAM DDR3
Mobo-Intel dq670w
PSU segotep ATX-500WH

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
i was about to post a similar question so i'll just put it here instead.
My brother's pc has the same problem. At a glance everything seems to be working fine but there is no signal going to the screen.
its
Ryzen 1600
8GB G skill DDR4
MSI B350 tomahawk
XFX R7 260
Recom 600W
So far i tried a different graphics card, 2 HDMI cables, 2 DSUB cables with 3 different adapters, changing which 6 pin goes to the card, a different screen, moving the card to the other PCI-E slot, using the DSUB port of the mobo and i'm considering trying a different PSU.
Any other ideas?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Have either of you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
If there is no signal to the screen then you can't get into the bios... or rather you will but you still won't see anything.
Anyway i tried a different PSU and it worked. The PSU was either too old and couldn't provide enough juice or the 6pin was busted. I'm leaning more toward the 2nd case since his pc was working fine most of the time but he had this issue a few times in the past 6 months every time he took it apart for cleaning

ChangeFather

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
I think you are going to need that video cable/adapter if you want to fix this PC. It is 10 years old at this point.
I'm going to get that next week and if it's still not working I'll probably get a new PSU. But there's this thing too: when I boot the pc up, my mouse/keyboard lights doesn't work unless I use pressed the buttons on my mouse and then the lights work for like a second. What can cause that?

I'm going to get that next week and if it's still not working I'll probably get a new PSU. But there's this thing too: when I boot the pc up, my mouse/keyboard lights doesn't work unless I use pressed the buttons on my mouse and then the lights work for like a second. What can cause that?
I don't think that is telling you anything significant. Have you tried booting with no peripherals plugged into the PC?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
I'd say its the PSU. The card gets power from both the PCI slot and the PSU connector so if the connector is broken it seems like its working because it takes in about half the power it needs but in reality the core is off

ChangeFather

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
I'd say its the PSU. The card gets power from both the PCI slot and the PSU connector so if the connector is broken it seems like its working because it takes in about half the power it needs but in reality the core is off
That's what I was thinking too, because theres the mouse and keyboard problem too, they don't work while connected to my PC, but they do connected to my sister's laptop. I will try the PSU to another system next week and come with updates. Thanks!

ChangeFather

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
Hi! I just tested my psu in another system, an older one. Nothing changes. I get no signal and my mouse and keyboard are not working. So the problem has to be the PSU, right?

ChangeFather

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
If that system worked fine before trying the PSU on it then yes, its the PSU that can't provide enough power
Hi! The PSU just arrived and guess what: still the same problem. This is legit beyond me, like, I tested the old psu in my old pc and it didn't boot and I thought, yea, it has to be the PSU, but I guess not. What else could it be if the old pc has the same problems this one has?