[SOLVED] PC boots but monitor loses display after login ?

Crzyevil

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Hello! So unfortunately this isn't my computer I'm having issues with but rather the one that's in my family home that isn't my own, so no ease of access =(. However I'm visiting for my mothers b day tomorrow and hoping i can fix this issue for her as my gift. I don't have to much information but basically the PC will boot just fine but once i get past the login screen the screen stays black. I CAN access the ctrl/alt/delete menu however. The only error I receive is related to ASUS suite I believe, and also something about Dipawaymode? I took a screenshot but lost it somehow. What i HAVE tried so far to fix is changing the HDMI cable the PC is connected to, switching the display input from MB to GPU and vice versa, changing the boot sequence, resetting the CMOS battery, unseating the RAM and switching docks, closing most program related to the error from task manager, windows troubleshoot/repair tool from early startup/safemode?

I suspect the issue could be related to a driver issue but i don't have access to update anything because i can't do anything but use the task manager =(. I DO have access to the command prompt as well but don't have much experience with it. Ideally i wish to fix this issue for her tomorrow so if you all could possibly give me a list of things i can try to fix the problem that i haven't already attempted I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Solution
What OS the PC is using? GNU/Linux or Win?
If Win, which version? 7? 8.1? 10? 11?
Is OS legit or pirated?
Also, full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) would be helpful to know.

If PC is using Win, here are few things to try:
* run command prompt as admin, type in:
sfc /scannow

This command checks the entire file system and repairs it, if there are issues.

* try booting into Safe Mode.
While it's booting up, hold down the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. A menu will appear. You can then release the F8 key. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking if you need to use the Internet to solve your problem), then press Enter.
If Win boots to Safe Mode and works...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is OS legit or pirated?
Also, full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) would be helpful to know.

sfc /scannow

While it's booting up, hold down the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. A menu will appear. You can then release the F8 key. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking if you need to use the Internet to solve your problem), then press Enter.
If Win boots to Safe Mode and works fine, issue is with some conflicting program. What that piece of software could be, i don't know. But easiest fix for that would be clean Win install.

If given, that after clean Win install, there are still same issue(s), then you can look towards hardware problems.

As of what might be wrong with the PC, the file system could be corrupt (sfc /scannow should fix it) or PC is taken over with malware (clean Win install will get rid of it).

Solution

Crzyevil

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Hey! Thanks for replying, PC has Windows 10. I don't have access to the pc atm so can't provide you with any specs =(. I'll definitely try that command prompt when I visit later today. If it doesn't work, Is there anything else i can try before reinstalling windows? I'm assuming everything on the system will be erased as a result? Id rather leave that as a last resort if possible. Also i don't have the windows disc to reinstall, it was a pre-built they purchased, if i end up needing to do so how would i go about the process without having to buy a new key? Or losing anything on the pc? Forgive me if any of this is obvious, I haven't really played around with PC's like i used too, i'm a bit out of the loop =(.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Crzyevil

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Is OS legit or pirated?

sfc /scannow

If Win boots to Safe Mode and works fine, issue is with some conflicting program. What that piece of software could be, i don't know. But easiest fix for that would be clean Win install.

If given, that after clean Win install, there are still same issue(s), then you can look towards hardware problems.

As of what might be wrong with the PC, the file system could be corrupt (sfc /scannow should fix it) or PC is taken over with malware (clean Win install will get rid of it).
Poking just in-case you don't see my reply!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also i don't have the windows disc to reinstall, it was a pre-built they purchased, if i end up needing to do so how would i go about the process without having to buy a new key? Or losing anything on the pc?

Only the system disk (C:/) gets wiped. Other drives remain untouched. <- This is also a reason why it is good idea to have 2 disks, one for OS, another for personal data, since when inevitable happens and you need to reinstall OS, you keep your personal data.

As far as reinstall goes, you can create boot media free of charge, on a USB flash thumb drive,
further reading + download links: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If the current Win10 is registered and activated, reinstall should still activate the Win. However, if it does not, owner needs to log-in to their Micro$oft account and disable the old key and apply the key again for the same machine.

Edit:
It is possible to save all (or most) of the personal data even on system disk. But that requires 2nd PC, preferably desktop PC.

Idea is to take out the bad system disk and hook it up to 2nd PC, as a data disk. This way, you can access it freely and copy/paste all the personal data. I've done it many times when helping out friends/family.

Win boot media also has "repair" function on it and could be used to only "repair" OS, while keeping personal data. But depending on how far the OS is corrupt, that may not work and only thing that does work, is to wipe the drive and do clean install.

Last edited: