Question PC boots for a fraction of a second and then shuts down and attempts to restart it self in a loop

Nov 10, 2019
UPDATE: I have mounted my old psu again and it booted up as it used to, I tried to put it on load to see if it will crash again and it did, so this tells me that psu is not powerful enough anymore to give high loads of power, also I have noticed in bios the the power it reads is 1.112W, shouldnt it need to be atleast 1.2W to work properly?

---------------------------

Hi guys,

I have a somewhat a weird problem after changing my PSU. I already searched ton of threads regarding similar issues that people experienced but none seems to be a fix to my case what so ever, so I decided to make my own thread and provide you as many details that I can.

First things first I bought this PC fully built back in 2016. Its a mid range gaming pc that was pretty good deal in terms preformance > price. And indeed it was great while it worked properly, but after somewhat 2 - 2 and a half years after purchasing I experienced auto shutdowns and restarts if I turn on some heavy load or bump up the graphics options in some of the games ( ex. Fortinte, PES 2020, even Ring of elysium the battle royale...). This never ever happened to me before as I could run the battlefield 1 on ultra without any issues or shutdowns, only somewhat higher temps obviously but all in range of safe usage. So after some online research I found that 90% of the people fixed this issue by changing their PSU, but before I did that I tried every single alternative option in hope I would not need to buy a new one, but unfortunately none of the tricks & tips from google worked. So I decided to ignore that problem and get used to running things on low - medium and render videos in 720p instead of 1080p because 1080p would crash it aswell. But few days ago I finally decided enough is enough and I will buy a new one and fix this issue once forever... ...and it didnt turned out as I planned, what happened is my PC now sometimes turns on for a minute or two, sometimes for 30 seconds but most of the time its turns on for a fraction of a second and shuts down in attempt to try to boot again but longer I allow it to do this the quicker it restarts and after 2 attempts the only thing left lighten up is my main PC tower power button...now this is very depressing, frustrating and mind buggling because it seems like I Removed up my pc totally by trying to fix it.

I will now list of the things I tried to do so far ( before I quited messing with it )

List of things before I changed the PSU

• I checked my temps while under load GPU would hang around 65C-73C max and CPU would be around 33C- 43C ( new cooler ) 39C - 48C ( stock intel cooler )
  • Reinstall Windows OS ( 2x times )
  • Deleted all my GPU drivers with DDU and cleaned %temp% ( temporary files )
  • Cheched for viruses, none found
  • Tried plug/unplug PSU cables and reseating GPU
  • Changed thermal paste to the CPU
  • Bought new cooler for CPU and messed a bit to get better airflow, temps are just where I want them to be now.
  • Reseted BIOS settings to default factory settings
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated all windows updates
  • Underclocked my card, after that didnt worked I also tried to overvolt it and undervolt it, I am was basicaly desperate at this point so I tried everything that I could
  • I tried to plug my power outlet directly to the wall
  • PRIME 95 cpu stress test all cores max temp of 45C and it did not crash the system
  • FURMARK gpu stress test for 1080 predefined profile PC crashed immedietly I didnt even saw anything, it crashed as soon as I clicked GO!
  • at this point I gave up
None of these worked so I gave up and got used to run things on lower load than I would prefer. ( low settings ...blabla )

Here is a list of things I tried after I changed PSU and my PC denied to boot properly

• Checked and plug/unplugged all the cables from the PSU
  • Reseated Both RAM sticks and tested it with each one and in each socket
  • Cleaned some dust leftover
  • Messed up with cable managment but I did a good job so I didnt got to do much more
  • Pluged and unpluged cables from PSU
  • Reseated GPU
  • Changed CPU thermal Paste again
  • Managed to get to the bios once and saw that CPU rendering cool 24C idle so no its not overheaeting issue
  • Reseted CMOS Battery, I waited 30 min before returning it back inside
  • Reseated GPU again...lol
  • Tried running it without GPU
  • Turned it on with only power outlet
  • .....I think thats about it
The funny thing is when I change sockets in my extended power cord it runs for a longer time same happens if I plug it to the wall, but if I try the socket I already tried it boots for a second and resets, If I let it stay overnight and come back it runs for a much longer time. Motherboard works fine everything else works fine and is powered all the lights show on each device ( mouse, keyboard, monitor ), but it denies to boot properly.

I know this is plenty of text, but I wanted to provide you guys with as much detail that I possibly could in hope I will be able to fix this problem anytime soon.

Below are my PC specifications

• GPU: XFX AMD RX 480 8GB stock clock memory 1288mhz , vram 2000mhz
  • CPU: intel i5 6500 four cores 3.2ghz
  • RAM: 2x 8gb hyper X so in total I have 16gb of ram
  • MOTHERBOARD: gigabyte ultra durable h110m
  • HARD DRIVE: 1x Toshiba 1tb
  • OLD PSU: EPS ENERGON 650W semi - modular
  • NEW PSU: CORSAIR CX650W semi-modular
  • OLD CPU COOLER: stock intel cooler
  • NEW CPU COOLER: Cryorig h7
  • PC CASE: COOLER MASTER K380 MID-TOWER
I dont want to make this any longer now I honestly think this is more than enough for you to come up with some ideas regarding what should I do....dayum.
Thank you guys for all the efforts and suggestions, means alot :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yacobino

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a somewhat a weird problem after changing my PSU. I already searched ton of threads regarding similar issues that people experienced but none seems to be a fix to my case what so ever, so I decided to make my own thread and provide you as many details that I can.

First things first I bought this PC fully built back in 2016. Its a mid range gaming pc that was pretty good deal in terms preformance > price. And indeed it was great while it worked properly, but after somewhat 2 - 2 and a half years after purchasing I experienced auto shutdowns and restarts if I turn on some heavy load or bump up the graphics options in some of the games ( ex. Fortinte, PES 2020, even Ring of elysium the battle royale...). This never ever happened to me before as I could run the battlefield 1 on ultra without any issues or shutdowns, only somewhat higher temps obviously but all in range of safe usage. So after some online research I found that 90% of the people fixed this issue by changing their PSU, but before I did that I tried every single alternative option in hope I would not need to buy a new one, but unfortunately none of the tricks & tips from google worked. So I decided to ignore that problem and get used to running things on low - medium and render videos in 720p instead of 1080p because 1080p would crash it aswell. But few days ago I finally decided enough is enough and I will buy a new one and fix this issue once forever... ...and it didnt turned out as I planned, what happened is my PC now sometimes turns on for a minute or two, sometimes for 30 seconds but most of the time its turns on for a fraction of a second and shuts down in attempt to try to boot again but longer I allow it to do this the quicker it restarts and after 2 attempts the only thing left lighten up is my main PC tower power button...now this is very depressing, frustrating and mind buggling because it seems like I Removed up my pc totally by trying to fix it.

I will now list of the things I tried to do so far ( before I quited messing with it )

List of things before I changed the PSU

• I checked my temps while under load GPU would hang around 65C-73C max and CPU would be around 33C- 43C ( new cooler ) 39C - 48C ( stock intel cooler )
  • Reinstall Windows OS ( 2x times )
  • Deleted all my GPU drivers with DDU and cleaned %temp% ( temporary files )
  • Cheched for viruses, none found
  • Tried plug/unplug PSU cables and reseating GPU
  • Changed thermal paste to the CPU
  • Bought new cooler for CPU and messed a bit to get better airflow, temps are just where I want them to be now.
  • Reseted BIOS settings to default factory settings
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated all windows updates
  • Underclocked my card, after that didnt worked I also tried to overvolt it and undervolt it, I am was basicaly desperate at this point so I tried everything that I could
  • I tried to plug my power outlet directly to the wall
  • PRIME 95 cpu stress test all cores max temp of 45C and it did not crash the system
  • FURMARK gpu stress test for 1080 predefined profile PC crashed immedietly I didnt even saw anything, it crashed as soon as I clicked GO!
  • at this point I gave up
None of these worked so I gave up and got used to run things on lower load than I would prefer. ( low settings ...blabla )

Here is a list of things I tried after I changed PSU and my PC denied to boot properly

• Checked and plug/unplugged all the cables from the PSU
  • Reseated Both RAM sticks and tested it with each one and in each socket
  • Cleaned some dust leftover
  • Messed up with cable managment but I did a good job so I didnt got to do much more
  • Pluged and unpluged cables from PSU
  • Reseated GPU
  • Changed CPU thermal Paste again
  • Managed to get to the bios once and saw that CPU rendering cool 24C idle so no its not overheaeting issue
  • Reseted CMOS Battery, I waited 30 min before returning it back inside
  • Reseated GPU again...lol
  • Tried running it without GPU
  • Turned it on with only power outlet
  • .....I think thats about it
The funny thing is when I change sockets in my extended power cord it runs for a longer time same happens if I plug it to the wall, but if I try the socket I already tried it boots for a second and resets, If I let it stay overnight and come back it runs for a much longer time. Motherboard works fine everything else works fine and is powered all the lights show on each device ( mouse, keyboard, monitor ), but it denies to boot properly.

I know this is plenty of text, but I wanted to provide you guys with as much detail that I possibly could in hope I will be able to fix this problem anytime soon.

Below are my PC specifications

• GPU: XFX AMD RX 480 8GB stock clock memory 1288mhz , vram 2000mhz
  • CPU: intel i5 6500 four cores 3.2ghz
  • RAM: 2x 8gb hyper X so in total I have 16gb of ram
  • MOTHERBOARD: gigabyte ultra durable h110m
  • HARD DRIVE: 1x Toshiba 1tb
  • OLD PSU: EPS ENERGON 650W semi - modular
  • NEW PSU: CORSAIR CX650W semi-modular
  • OLD CPU COOLER: stock intel cooler
  • NEW CPU COOLER: Cryorig h7
  • PC CASE: COOLER MASTER K380 MID-TOWER
I dont want to make this any longer now I honestly think this is more than enough for you to come up with some ideas regarding what should I do....dayum.
Thank you guys for all the efforts and suggestions, means alot :)
This might sound stupid, but try cleaning everything out with compressed air. CPU cooler, GPU, PSU, anything that you can get to. I had a similar problem because my CPU radiator was caked in dust and would overheat as soon as I turned on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

uran6800

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
You said ypu installed windows 2 times was it a clean install from usb or a factory reset?
Have you than cheked your cables if they work properly bc poor quality cables can impcat rly electronics

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk

Nov 10, 2019
This might sound stupid, but try cleaning everything out with compressed air. CPU cooler, GPU, PSU, anything that you can get to. I had a similar problem because my CPU radiator was caked in dust and would overheat as soon as I turned on my computer.

I obviously cleaned everything since I have removed everything while checking if all is seated right. I managed to get into the bios for a moment and saw cpu rendering 24C so no its not overheating, everything is clean and cables are new that came with psu it self.

Nov 10, 2019
You said ypu installed windows 2 times was it a clean install from usb or a factory reset?
Have you than cheked your cables if they work properly bc poor quality cables can impcat rly electronics

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk
I installed windows 10 from a clean usb boot device both times and made a clean drivers uninstall and reinstall with ddu and amd software for my gpu. Cables are brand new I guess, they came with the psu it self. Psu and dam cables are 3-4 days old lmao. Maybe I got unlucky and got faulty psu again... Higehly unlikely but I will try to mount old psu and see if it boots.

TRENDING THREADS