Question Pc boots for a second then turns off and goes to a infinite loop of that

Oct 22, 2019
stick with 1 thread
So i dont know what happened but my pc is a couple years old now and i havent cleaned for a while so i decided to do it, with a can of air duster, it is a prebuild so i cant tell you all the specs but i have upgraded it with a nvidia geforce gtx 1060, with 1, 8gb ddr3 stick, and a intel core i5. Now when i cleaned it i took of the sidepanel and sprayed out all the dust, then i took of the cpu fan to check on the thermal paste, it didnt look any good so i called my dad to get some new on his way home, i then cleaned the cpu fan and screwed it back in and plugged it in, i also unplugged my cd driver because i dont need it. When i was done i plugged it back in the wall and now it shuts on for maybe a second, then turns off again, and then goes into a loop og turning on and off, i didnt touch anything else, other than pluggin back the cd driver bwcause i thought it was the problem. I am now in desperate need of help

Oct 22, 2019
Probably knocked something loose. Disconnect all cables, RAM, expansion cards, &c. Check all RAM and expansion slots for dust and debris. Then plug everything back in. Being sure to firmly insert RAM and expansion cards.
Right, i shall try right away, come to think of it i did knock on of the pins on the ram a little back so it might be that,

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I know its gonna sound stupid, but had the same problem short story so basicly cleaned the whole pc like you, had same simptoms, after 2 days of testing hardware the cpu mobo gpu memory psu everything it turned out that the switch on the case that is to turn on the PC was stuck. Try to remove the the button and short it with a screwdriver to start and test.

Oct 22, 2019
I know its gonna sound stupid, but had the same problem short story so basicly cleaned the whole pc like you, had same simptoms, after 2 days of testing hardware the cpu mobo gpu memory psu everything it turned out that the switch on the case that is to turn on the PC was stuck. Try to remove the the button and short it with a screwdriver to start and test.
If the last tip from the other gentleman doesn work i shall try this

Oct 22, 2019
Right, i shall try right away, come to think of it i did knock on of the pins on the ram a little back so it might be that,
Allright, i unplugged everythink, took out the gpu, took out the ram, cleaned its socket and smacked it in again. Ima wait till my dad gets home with the thermal paste before i try it out because im not gonna put it together and then tear it apart again, so i'll tell you once it is done

Oct 22, 2019
Probably knocked something loose. Disconnect all cables, RAM, expansion cards, &c. Check all RAM and expansion slots for dust and debris. Then plug everything back in. Being sure to firmly insert RAM and expansion cards.
Thank you sir, for the help. Works good so far. Also got a little upgrade out of it so thanks.

Allright, i unplugged everythink, took out the gpu, took out the ram, cleaned its socket and smacked it in again. Ima wait till my dad gets home with the thermal paste before i try it out because im not gonna put it together and then tear it apart again, so i'll tell you once it is done

In the future. Don't check thermal paste. It lasts a long time. It's good for many years. The only time may be if you are getting unexplained thermals, if you bought an OEM PC or using something known to dry out or cause some corrosion. As OEM often use way too much paste. Especially with laptops.

As soon as you check it. It is ruined. It doesn't matter how good it looks when you check. The rule is. You clean it off and replace it. Even when you apply new paste. You don't want to be lifting it up to reposition. I press down and if it is off the mark a little rotate/slide.

Thank you sir, for the help. Works good so far. Also got a little upgrade out of it so thanks.

Glad it works.

Oct 22, 2019
In the future. Don't check thermal paste. It lasts a long time. It's good for many years. The only time may be if you are getting unexplained thermals, if you bought an OEM PC or using something known to dry out or cause some corrosion. As OEM often use way too much paste. Especially with laptops.

As soon as you check it. It is ruined. It doesn't matter how good it looks when you check. The rule is. You clean it off and replace it. Even when you apply new paste. You don't want to be lifting it up to reposition. I press down and if it is off the mark a little rotate/slide.

Glad it works.
Yea, i already know not to check. But u havent really cared for this pc so its probably been 6-7 years. It was pretty bad. Doesnt hurt anyway to get some new if you have it so yea. But thanks for the concern