PC boots for like 20 seconds with no post and then loops.

Jun 18, 2014
So I have this weird thing going on with my pc, it started today after a windows update. It boots for like 20 seconds with no post and keeps looping. I've tried resetting bios, reseating the ram (and booting with 1 stick at a time etc) and replugging everything.

The only thing that changes the sequence is if I boot with only PSU and CPU, then it gives beep codes that indicate that the CPU voltage/cooling is bad.(it also boot loops BTW). I've yet to try reseating the CPU since I don't have any thermal paste lying around.

Specs: i7 3770, gtx 1060, 16gb 1333mhz, gigabyte h61m s2 b3 (rev 1.0), corsair vs650.

Solution

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Honestly, it sounds like what you found with the sequence change, that the CPU voltage/cooling is bad. Whether this has to do with the CPU pins on the socket, your motherboard VRM, or your PSU's rails, I don't know.

If you can't reseat your CPU, you need to diagnose your PSU and/or your motherboard, which is probably harder but also might very well be the cause.

Your PSU only has a warranty of three years and if you've used it well past then it could be the weakest link.
If Windows is corrupt on your boot drive, your motherboard should post and prompt you there's no boot device.

You check whether you are using a PCI-e 8/6+2pin with the CPU power for your motherboard or are you using the designated CPU power cable? Because using the former can cause some issues.

If your components are as old as their release dates suggest, it could very easily be your motherboard or your PSU.

[strike]Have you looked into your your PSU health? Your BIOS should indicate whether your voltages on each rail are within specification.[/strike] (is "post" applicable)

Jun 18, 2014

Hey there, Thanks for your suggestion. It ended up being a memory issue. My ram is clocked at 1666 while my motherboard is capped at 1333. Something reset my bios settings and my PC couldn't use the ram. Using an old 1333 stick of ram and accessing the bios settings and manually setting ram speed ended up fixing my issue.

Solution