PC boots on with 1 stick of ram, but not with 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2018
I built my first PC today, and when i turned it on, it didn't boot. I took one ram stick out and it booted fine. I tried updating the BIOS and that didn't help. Can't find the XMP profile thing also.

System specs -
CPU: Intel I5-2400 3.1ghz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 750
MoBo: ASUS p8h61-m lx3 plus r2.0
HDD: WD Blue 500gb
RAM: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX Fury Blue
PSU: Corsair VS 400

Thanks in advance!

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
It sounds like either a bad ram stick or a bad ram slot, if both sticks work individually, try with a stick in different slots to rule out what is going on. if it is the slot there is a possibility reseating the processor may fix it.

Mar 6, 2018

It's definitely isn't the ram sticks themselves. I'll try the other thing tho.

Edit: I tried reseating the processor, but it still wont work

Mar 6, 2018

I cant seem to find the place where you can turn the voltage up. It's not in the DRAM timing settings or anywhere

mike2mars

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

I had the same problem, couldnt find a XMP setting, but disabled "memory fast boot" in the bios and that did the trick!!

Didnt notice any slower boot time because of it, maybe back in the day when it took a while to load up the ram they put this option in to speed it up by doing away with some unnecessary checks. I suspect you should also be able to turn it off after it catches , or recognizes the ram. I had this problem in the beginning when building this PC but after it booted successfully once i never had a boot problem since all with memory fast boot enabled. So maybe its just luck that it recognizes it and its good after, but disabling the fast memory boot option seems to help make sure it does.

Reactions: pttrung91
Status
Not open for further replies.