[SOLVED] PC boots only if i apply pressure on the CPU cooler

edgars.roga

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
Hi I need help regarding my friends PC.

We were upgrading his system from HDD to SSD only, so we disconnected the hdd, put in the ssd, installed win10 no problems, now he needed some files from the hdd, we plugged it back in, and it didn't boot, but, it did start to spin all the fans for 2 seconds and then stopped and then turned on again spinned for 2 secs and repeated, no bios , no nothing. Nor the SSD was working, nor the HDD, nor we had anything touching the metal, nor the cables were loose. We stumbled upon a post, where like 2 people were saying almost the same thing: "Hit the cooler gently, or the behind of the MOBO where is the cooler" and "apply pressure to the fan when booting". Well it did indeed work when i applied pressure to the fan. But when we moved the computer a bit, put the sides back on, it just turned off and did the same thing again... We got it to work immediately pressing down on the CPU again. But any slight movement or shake would turn it back off... This did not happen before, but for some reason it started to happen. (NOTE) /It does work if we just turn it on, and don't move it at all./
We will buy thermal paste and try to take it apart and look if something is out of place or something else. But it just was weird that it happened out of nowhere.
Anyone else has had this problem?
Is his CPU/MOBO bent or broken?

edgars.roga

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
Does his cooler clip into the motherboard itself with plastic clips or does it screw into a bracket?
Its a I7 2600 (stock cooler) View: http://i.imgur.com/Q4mN4xd.jpg
in a LGA 1155 asus mobo and im pretty sure it just clips in. But would it not boot if a cooler isn't pressed on it? i mean if you take the cooler off ( but keep it plugged ) would it not boot anyways? I think its more likely the cpu not getting connection on the mobo, might be wrong, i don't know...