[SOLVED] PC boots only if RAM is in slot 2 or 4

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Hi guys!

I have a problem where my RAM does not boot if I put them in slot 1 or 3. This is an old (5 years old at least) PC, and I set my CPU multiplier to a lower value, because I kinda overclocked it about half a year ago. The computer starts if I put both of the RAMs or only 1 stick in slot 2 or 4. The coolers starts, but the monitor's screen is black. After 5 seconds, the computer shuts down, and then it repeats.

I tried CLR_CMOS, took out the battery for a whole day, updated BIOS, put in different RAMs, only to get the same result.

Now, my PC starts and works fine, but it is frustrating me that the RAMs are just not in the "correct place".

Please, if you know how to fix this, help me.

RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4GX
Motherboard: GA-Z97X-SLI
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590

Solution
What is the problem you are trying to solve?
Apparently, if you use slots 2/4 you are running ok.
Do you really need to fix something that is working?

You get dual channel operatation from installing two sticks in different channels.
If you install only one stick it will be single channel mode. Or, if you install two sticks in the same channel, it will also run in single channel mode.

To test your ram, run memtest86. It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.'You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
If both sticks are not from the same kit, you may have a mismatch problem.
But, I don't see how such a mismatch would behave in different slots.

As to why you can not run in channels 1/3, there are several...

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Page 16 in your manual for the motherboard, advices you to install RAM in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2.

Looking at the image in the manual, thos names are identical with the DIMMs most often referrred to as slot 2 and 4

So the correct slots on the motherboard is the 2nd and 4th channelk, when counting from the CPU to the right
Yeah, I know that, and they were there. But if I put them there now, the PC just dies.

I see what you mean, and I was confusing the naming scheme.

Even if you put the RAM in DIMM1 and 3, the PC should boot, even if the recommended DIMMS are 2 and 4.

What was the reason you moved the RAM, since I understand your post as if it has been working previously?

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I see what you mean, and I was confusing the naming scheme.

Even if you put the RAM in DIMM1 and 3, the PC should boot, even if the recommended DIMMS are 2 and 4.

What was the reason you moved the RAM, since I understand your post as if it has been working previously?
I read some where that it is temporary method that solves this problem. They wrote there that reseating the RAMs or booting with 1 stick can work.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...p-but-temporary-fix-by-reseating-ram.2697010/

I can't really tell from your post, if you have bought new RAM, and you are having difficulties making them work in the correct DIMMs..

Or did you experience problems with the memory you alreday had, and that's the reason you moved them?

Or did they never work in DIMM 2 and 4, and you are now, after 5 years trying to make it work?

What is the reason you are messing with the RAM, if it has been working until now, in the correct DIMMS?

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I can't really tell from your post, if you have bought new RAM, and you are having difficulties making them work,.

Or did you experience problems with the memory you alreday had, and that's the reason you moved them?

Or did they never work in DIMM 2 and 4, and you are now, after 5 years trying to making it work?

What is the reason you are messing with the RAM, if it has been working until now, in the correct DIMMS?
The RAMs, and the complete PC is 5 years old. They worked fine in every slot until a week maybe(?), and now even my brother's RAMs don't work in those slots.
Is it a motherboard failure maybe?

That's what I was trying to get to

Do you remember what happened when the RAM stopped working in those two sockets?

Was the computer turned on, were you gaming or browsing the internet, and the PC suddenly crashed for no aparent reason?

Or had the PC been turned off for a while, and you powered it on as you normally would, but it reported errrors or couldn't boot instead?

Have you noticed random system errors lately, system instability, or maybe random BSODs? Or did this ouccur completely unexpectedly?

It does sound like faulty hardware, and it could be either the integrated memory controller in the CPU, or problems with the motherboard. I noticed you said you have been overclocking
I don't know if the problems are actually related to any of those two things (CPU IMC / Motherboard), but in my mind, it is something which would make sense to consider

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
That's what I was trying to get to

Do you remember what happened when the RAM stopped working in those two sockets?

Was the computer turned on, were you gaming or browsing the internet, and the PC suddenly crashed for no aparent reason?

Or had the PC been turned off for a while, and you powered it on as you normally would, but it reported errrors or couldn't boot instead?

Have you noticed random system errors lately, system instability, or maybe random BSODs? Or did this ouccur completely unexpectedly?

It does sound like faulty hardware, and it could be either the integrated memory controller in the CPU, or problems with the motherboard. I noticed you said you have been overclocking
I don't know if the problems are actually related to any of those two thing (CPU IMC / Motherboard), but in my mind, it is something which would make sense to consider
I used my PC that day, and turned it off normally. Some hours later, when I turned it on again, I went to the BIOS and changed the CPU multiplier to a lower value. Then I saved and restarted my PC. At that point, it went crazy, and rebooted all the time until I switched off the UPS. There weren't crashes or anything lately, it was very unexpected.

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
You make reference to "put them there now, the PC just dies" and "they".

Memory modules sold as Single modules have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as a Single module.

KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX - Kingston Technology
It is interesting. I always used them (because I have 2 of this RAM.) Dual-Channel. Then why are there problems after 5 years of usage without a single problem? But now they are both Single-Cahnnel right? I use them in different colored slots.

You get dual channel operatation from installing two sticks in different channels.
If you install only one stick it will be single channel mode. Or, if you install two sticks in the same channel, it will also run in single channel mode.

To test your ram, run memtest86. It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.'You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

As to why you can not run in channels 1/3, there are several possibilities.
1. You have a bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket. This happens easily if you smoosh the cpu around to get it seated.
You may be able to bend a pin back if you are careful.

2. The motherboard has failed, disabling one set of ram slots.

3. I have seen a case where the cpu itself had a failure to run all channels. This is extremely unlikely.

4. You tried to overclock a non K processor. The only way to do that is through voltage adjustments that may have damaged something.

What to do???

Nothing.

Solution

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020

As to why you can not run in channels 1/3, there are several possibilities.
1. You have a bent pin in the motherboard cpu socket. This happens easily if you smoosh the cpu around to get it seated.
You may be able to bend a pin back if you are careful.

2. The motherboard has failed, disabling one set of ram slots.

3. I have seen a case where the cpu itself had a failure to run all channels. This is extremely unlikely.

4. You tried to overclock a non K processor. The only way to do that is through voltage adjustments that may have damaged something.

What to do???

Nothing.
Thanks for your answer. I will look at the processor's pins, but I think it is a motherboard failure.