PC boots only with single slot of RAM

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I decided to turn my CPU fan around so I dissembled the fan didn't even touch the fan literally just re orientated the back plate and screwed everything back on. I then went to switch my PC on and it stated up for about a second then switched off, rebooted and then switched on. No USB power, screen didn't turn on. Except the case fans, graphics card HDD's all spun up.

After hours of diagnosis I managed to pinpoint what I believe is the problem my RAM. However before they were working fine, I have 8GB Hyper X fury RAM. I googled around and people suggested things like CMOS reset which I did. I've checked all sticks of RAM individually and they all work however my PC can only boot under one stick of RAM. If I put two in it just has a boot loop.

I'm really struggling to diagnose this now, is there a fix to this? I don't know if it's hardware or software related, probably hardware however all the motherboard RAM slots function because I've booted from all of them and all the RAM sticks function because I've also managed to boot with both sticks.

Could anybody suggest anything?

RAM - Hyper X Fury 8GB (2x4GB) (I've tried booting with Avexir 4GB RAM and its worked as well)
Motherboard - Z97 MSI PC Mate

gondo

Distinguished
Can you get into the BIOS. If so you can disable fast boot and it will scan the memory while booting. It's a basic test than can check your RAM but it probably won't find anything. You'll see the numbers turning on boot while it tests RAM and it'll give an error if anything is found. Also check the timings and stuff in the motherboard and enter the numbers manually instead of using auto detect for RAM.

Next try different slots. Try the blues, and the blacks. Sometimes it's 1 particular slot on the motherboard that doesn't work.

Does each stick work individually? If so load with each stick, enter windows, and scan the memory with a program such as memtest86. If each stick passes individually then you know it's the motherboard.

If a stick of RAM is bad RMA it. That Kingston RAM is guaranteed for life. If it's the motherboard try a BIOS update as a last resort. If it still doesn't work then RMA the board and get a new one. It's a fairly common problem where one slot on a motherboard won't work, and it's a reason I exclusively use 1 brand of boards now. I've had too many issues with other brands and just stopped chancing reliability and stick to my main brand.

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

I've just tried to identify which sticks boot by putting them in one by one and then starting up my PC. I did it and sorted them into seperate piles however when I went back to the first stick I tested which worked it suddenly stopped working as in it was rebooting.

I don't understand? Maybe the one that didn't work influences the system for some time?

Download Memtest86 and put it on a USB memory stick. Go into Bios and select the USB stick as the first boot device. Then run memtest86 on a single stick of RAM for several hours. Then repeat on the other stick.

Why did you turn the fan around in the first place. They are generally designed to either "push" or "pull" air from the cpu cooler. Refer to the cpu cooler's manual for the correct orientation. Is your cpu cooler attached too tightly to the motherboard? Perhaps it is putting too much stress on the cpu, affecting the integrated memory controller in the cpu, causing your RAM problems. You may be able to run Intel diagnostics to test the IMC.

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

You know what, when I put the fan bracket on again it felt awfully tight, however Its a pretty big heat sink so I'd imagine it's like that, however I'll refit it to see.
I'll do memtest86 as well, however I'm very confused over what the problem is, RAM or Motherboard? I'm currently on my PC and I've managed to play a couple of games okayish except obviously because I've only got 4GB there have been stuttering and freezing as it's at full capacity. I have also been able to boot from all sticks of RAM including other RAM cards so..

I re orientated it because I had it blowing air out the top however I realised that it's not effective as my CPU idle'd at around 50 C which is too high so I re orientated it and now it idles at around 30C

bullbearings

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

All the RAM sticks managed to boot individually however when combined they do not.

Is there a tool in the Intel Diagnostic Tool to test the RAM? If not, then Memtest86 seems to be the most popular tool to test RAM. It has been a while since I have used it so I can't remember how many passes are recommended, but there is probably some info on their website.

TRENDING THREADS