PC boots then shuts down within a couple seconds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

I am having an issue (possibly with the PSU) in my computer. First of all...

SPECS:
- MSI K9N SLI mobo
- 3.1 dual core amd athlon 6400
- 2 x 2GB OCZ SLI ready RAM DDR2
- Radeon HD 4650 1GB
- (was running) old Dell 300W PSU and upgraded to Corsair Pro HX650
- (was running) 160GB IDE Western Digital (Caviar I believe) HD and upgraded to 320GB SATA Western Digital (Caviar as well I beleive) HD
- Cooler Master Elite series case

Now.. the PROBLEM. (and no, I am not running the SLI mode as I was told it's not worth it with my CPU and mobo)

I installed the new SATA hard drive and realized my PSU didn't have enough SATA power plugs. Next day, I buy the Corsair PSU (I wanted to upgrade anyway) and installed it. The new HD and PSU worked fine after installing... I was able to install windows 7 and the computer ran fine (no smells, smoke, extreme heat, etc.).

It ran fine all through Sunday, and my girlfriend was on it Monday afternoon while I was at work. I came home and there was a blue light on on the front of the case but nothing was running inside. I pushed the "on" button on the case and everything lit up, fans started, and I'm quite sure everything was spinning, but then it died about 2 seconds after being on. Nothing comes up on the monitor (running dual 22s actually) and I heard no beeps or boops..

Wondering if anyone has any ideas before I return the PSU. I've yet to put the old PSU back in to see if everything will boot. (I have found a peripheral to SATA power adapter for the new SATA HD so I plan to try it tonight...)

Solution
PSU's are dead on arrival probably more than any other component you can buy. Not uncommon to get a bad one fresh out of the box.

But it's weird that you got power for a second or two and then it shut down, and that it worked fine all day until your g/f used it.

It's a shame your old computer still works. You would be amazed at how much faster a computer using current generation tech is.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I'd imagine if the 12V rail capacities are pretty equal, I shouldn't have a problem going that route. I didn't get a chance to go to Micro Center last night, but I will be tonight and I will begin building the new computer over the weekend. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

broseephus

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
You'll notice HUGE improvements in performance (mainly from gaming) with a 560 ti.

You will also have a fairly cheap upgrade in the next year or two if you need it because you will be able to buy another 560 ti at a much cheaper price and SLI them.

Of course you could just go balls out and always get a GTX 6xx series card. It's just money right? :)

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah, I was kind of thinking of just spending the extra $40 and getting the GTX 560. It will last me longer and I may as well invest a little bit of cash rather than having to upgrade components in a year or so.

And the GTX 6xx would be awesome, but completely unnecessary for the amount of gaming I do, haha.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah, I know its a better brand. I'll have to chat with the Micro Center people and see if they have this model. The extra amount of warranty time would be nice to have.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
So, a quick update for all who helped me out...

I've decided to keep the new parts and build the new i5 system. I actually just finished building and installing windows 7 on it last night. It seems to have ran fine for the couple of hours I worked on it last night, and I booted it back up this morning before coming to work to see if it will stay on for the day. I've also opened some menus to make sure the computer doesn't randomly restart itself.

The only issue I'm having with the new install is my device manager lists a "PCI Simply Communications Controller" driver as missing. I'm not finding much about this online, and I don't see anything on the drivers disc for the motherboard about PCI drivers. Any ideas?

New PC Specs are (if needed):
8GB Ballistix Sport RAMM 1600MHz
320GB SATA HD (6.0gb/s)
Intel i5 3.4GHz (3.8 turboed) Quad Core 3750K CPU
Asus P8 Z77-V LK Mobo with 2 PCI 3.0 slots
Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
OCZ Mod Xstream-Pro 600W PSU
Lite-On DVD ROM
Rosewill SATA Card Reader

As for the old computer... I've got hooked up to an old monitor and it seems to be blue screening. I've got another thread started about it's issues, so if you think you may be able to help please check it out at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=287758&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

broseephus

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Grats on the new gear.

As for your problem.

How are you connecting to your home network?

Wireless adapter or hardwired to router/switch/hub?

Seems like that PCI Com Controller is usually related to Modems and NIC's. I would update all of those drivers and see if that fixes the problem.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

It is (and will be once I fix the other computer) my main computer. It's in my home office hardwired in through a router. Router is connected directly to the modem.

I've seen around the internet that it also seems to be related to the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" for the hard drive... a few people have said they've installed this driver (which I have not yet because I didn't think it was necessary) and it has fixed the missing driver in the "device manager."

I'll have to jump on the Linksys website when I get home from work and see if there are any updates for the router (it's quite old), but I'm not sure how to update the modem. Hopefully I can do it through the "device manager."

Fingers crossed that the computer is still live and running when I get home in an hour!!! lol

broseephus

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
If you're talking about a broadband modem that you're leasing from an ISP you shouldn't touch it. If anything call the ISP and have them flash it for you (they can do it instantly with you on the phone)

Definitely update your router firmware but that's also not what's giving you the message in Device Manager. Device manager only tells you about local hardware.

If you can post a screen shot of the Device manager that would help. Is it listed under a specific section in the Device Manager or is it just listed under "Other Devices" with a big yellow question mark?

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I can get you a screen shot later this evening. My problem is, I don't see anywhere on these forums to upload / post the screenshot. How do I do post images in my replies? lol

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Ok. I wasn't sure if I had to refernce an image elsewhere on the web or if I could actually upload one straight to the thread. I don't have an imgur account or anything, but I've got a few websites online that I can upload it to a generic folder for reference. Once I get home I'll download my FTP and and throw a screenshot online.