[SOLVED] PC boots to black screen after power surges. (Weird RAM interactions)

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Hey everyone,
So I have a weird problem where my PC will open to a black screen, staying even before POST forever (until I power it off of course). I found a way to make it boot properly but I thingk there's something wrong with the MOBO/RAM
(Some info: I have removed all SATA and GPU from the MOBO and it's only left with the RAM sticks and the cpu fan). Here's the only pattern I found that I could replicate always:

1. Power on the PC => Black screen
  2. Power off the PC & discharging (removing the power cable & holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds)
  3. Remove a RAM stick
  4. Plug in the power cable and power on the PC => It opens! (Of course, it reaches the "No OS found, reboot....")
  5. Power off the PC & discharging
  6. Power on the PC => Black screen (weird right(?), since it booted properly the last time, at step 4)
  7. Power off the PC & discharging
  8. Insert the RAM stick I previously removed
  9. Power on the PC => It opens! (again "no OS found")
  10. Power off the PC & discharging
GOTO 1

Info 1: If I connect my ssd with the OS inside then when the PC does boot properly (step 4 or step 9) if I restart it, it will restart normally but if I shut it down then I end up in step 1 (meaning, it boots on to a black screen)
Info 2: I have swapped PSUs to rule out a faulty PSU
Info 3: All this started happening after a couple power failures

So I'm guessing there's some kind of charge hanging around the RAM area that's messing something up? I don't know, any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks, in advance, for your answers

Solution
Ok, so I solved this by updating the BIOS. Seems like the BIOS was "stuck" in some way and you had to change the state of the PC ( by adding/removing RAM) after every power down.
I'm keeping this up since I think it's worth existing for other people to find

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Ok, so I solved this by updating the BIOS. Seems like the BIOS was "stuck" in some way and you had to change the state of the PC ( by adding/removing RAM) after every power down.
I'm keeping this up since I think it's worth existing for other people to find

Solution

TRENDING THREADS