[SOLVED] Pc boots to black screen

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Hi all, having an annoying issue.
Been having it for about a week now.
Basically my pc will at random, stop wanting to boot.
I’ve managed to temporarily fix this by switching ram around, but each new ram slot I try eventually after a day or two of use, I will try and power my pc on, and I will see a light black screen and my ram RGBs start glowing, then the rgb light on the ram sticks will suddenly stop glowing, screen will stop emitting light, (the pc stays on at this point with no signal on the monitor) and the fans spin faster for a second, I’ve reset the bios by removing the cmos battery and re seated the ram to slots 2 & 4, this again will work temporarily, eventually coming back to my black screen issue. I’ve tested two different ram types.
I really don’t think it’s faulty.

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core LGA 1151 3.6GHz CPU Processor

GPU: TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080

RAM: corsair rgb vengance pro cmw32x4m4c3200c16W (using 2 of these not 4)

PSU: EVGA 750W SuperNOVA GA 80+ Gold Power Supply

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming

Monitor: 360hz Alienware

Solution
Last time I witnessed an issue as stated above, the client's system was suffering from a grounding issue at their house since the issue was gone when it came to me. See if you disconnect the system from the wall and the monitor, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. If the system powers back up after reconnecting to display and power, without removing the CMOS battery, then you have a grounding(static build up) issue.

On side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for the ram slots, considering that this is an Intel platform, it doesn't matter if the rams are populating slots A2 and B2 or A1 and B1 but that pairing needs to be consistent, stated in your motherboard manual, page 10.

How...

Lutfij

Titan
Last time I witnessed an issue as stated above, the client's system was suffering from a grounding issue at their house since the issue was gone when it came to me. See if you disconnect the system from the wall and the monitor, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. If the system powers back up after reconnecting to display and power, without removing the CMOS battery, then you have a grounding(static build up) issue.

On side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for the ram slots, considering that this is an Intel platform, it doesn't matter if the rams are populating slots A2 and B2 or A1 and B1 but that pairing needs to be consistent, stated in your motherboard manual, page 10.

How old is the PSU in that build?

Solution

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Oh, great input thanks, would've never thought of that. PSU is very new, bought it a couple months ago. I'll also update the bios, not sure what version it is on this PC but I'm sure it's out of date. Any suggestions for solutions for stopping static build up / grounding issues?
Also next time this happens, I'll give that a shot, hopefully I can figure the cause out at least.

TRENDING THREADS