PC Boots to blackscreen, no cursor.

Thomas_40

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi, after I press the power button , all fans spin up everything is normal.
Then leads to a black screen with no sign of changing and no cursor.
From boot I can go to bios, but when I press f8 for safe mode nothing happens.
This is not a new pc, was working just fine till today and I have no onboard graphics only a Radeon graphics card.
If I need to restore to factory settings its no problem, need to use pc quick.
Thanks .

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Do a hard reset first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try to boot the laptop.
- Next is to test the AC adapter and see if it's supplying enough voltage or better yet try another AC adapter that has the same voltage.
- If there are lights on the laptop indicating that it's on connect and external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it and if you do press the Windows key + P at the same time and select Display Only then press Enter.
- If that will not solve the problem do reseat the RAM, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure that they are seated properly into each slot.
- Lastly, try and connect an external monitor and see if you'll get a display from it or not because if you do that means it's the problem to the display.
- Also run a complete factory reset if it still loads BIOS.
- If all these will not work you may need to contact the manufacturer for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.

Colif

Win 11 Master
F8 doesn't work in win 10
grab a copy of the win 10 installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
use that program to make a win 10 USB or DVD (you will need to use another pc for this)
change boot order to use whatever you made first, hdd second
boot from installer, on page after language choices, select repair this pc, not install

now two things you can try from here
you can run start up repair from troubleshoot/advanced/start up repair - this will scan start up and maybe fix problem
you can also try just going into safe mode and exiting it again... it has been known to fix it. try troubleshoot/advanced/start up options. Select 1 of the 3 safe mode variants and then pc will load into safe mode. restart pc and it may be fixed

if neither work, try a reset. boot from installer again, select repair pc, select reset from top lvl. can either save files and settings or wipe it all.

if you get told the drive is locked, try this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked

hope that helps :)

themerchantbay

Honorable
Oct 26, 2018

Thanks, step one worked for me. I thought that my graphics card was dead or something. You saved me a lot of grief.

TRENDING THREADS