[SOLVED] PC Boots to Priority #1 after restart, but from wrong disk after shutdown? Any thoughts?

Mar 18, 2020
Hey all,

Due to COVID-19, my three kids are doing school from home. I bought them each an ACEPC GK1 mini computer because they seemed cheap but with the specs they need and are well reviewed on Amazon. They are mini-PCs with 4GB DDR4 ram and 64GB pre-installed with Windows 10. The 64GB isn't enough to update windows, so I added a Sabrent 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242 drive to each and then cloned the 64GB drive to the new SSD using Macrium Reflect (based on numerous YouTube tutorials I referenced). In the BIOS, I then set the new SSD as Boot Priority #1 and disabled Priority #2 and #3. I was then able to update windows and the PCs work great...

...however, once I shut down the PC and then turn it back on, it boots from the old drive and into the old un-updated version of Windows with none of the things I've added for their schoolwork, so that doesn't work. If I restart the PC at that point, it boots correctly from the new SSD. I've tried running Windows Memory Diagnostic, scouring the internet, and checking the BIOS numerous times, but it's the same story:

Shut down, turn back on: boots from old drive
Restart: boots from the correct drive - the new SSD

I'm not a complete computer moron, but I'm no IT wiz, either. I simply don't know where to go from here. Thanks for your help!

Solution
If no one comes up with a solution, you could always add a batch file to the Startup of the 'old windows' that simply issues the restart command.
Mar 18, 2020
Good thought, @popatim. Thanks for checking back in. Unfortunately, I only see one option, like this except with Windows 10 (C:\windows) : Current OS; Default OS
An idea (perhaps a bad one): I liked the idea of keeping the OS and all the original files on the original drive to be a back-up, but what are your thoughts on deleting all the files off that original drive? When I restart and it boots off the correct drive, the original drive shows up as a second drive and I could just delete everything. The PC wouldn't be able to boot off of it then. Dangerous idea?