PC Boots to Windows, 1 POST beep, no video signal.

Luckadoo

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Hello all,
After I had finished playing a game (Left 4 Dead 2), I shut down my computer and left for work. When I came home and tried to boot up my computer, I got absolutely no video signal but the computer booted to windows. After making sure the video card was reseated and my monitor was plugged in I tried again and still no luck. Eventually, I tried all of the following:

+Switched PCI Express slots that the video card was in.
+Replaced the Video Card with known good one
+Replaced with a new PSU
+Tried running with just 1 stick of RAM and the Video Card, and no luck. The proceeded to switch out all the RAM 1 by 1 to eliminate any sort of RAM problem.
+Resetting the CMOS, flashing the BIOS
+Tried putting in a Windows XP SP3 disk to see if it would somehow repair something and make the video show up
+Replaced Motherboard with known good one

After trying all of the above, NOTHING has changed. I only get the 1 POST beep, I still am able to get to windows, I can still mess around with stuff with the keyboard (I just tried ativating sticky keys and got the little chirp, so I know that's working).
Now I am absolutely stumped.

Here's what I'm running in my system (I built it 2 years ago):

Motherboard: P6N SLI Platinum
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz(i think?) (socket 775)
Video: nVidia GeForce 8600 GT
PSU: Corsair 650W
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1GB stick x4

I've got no clue where to go from here. I would imagine I don't need to replace the CPU or the Motherboard because it boots to windows, and changing the motherboard fixed nothing anyway. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Sounds like you have swapped EVERYTHING it could possibly be !

The ONLY other thing it could be ... the only one ... would be that some other device or expansion card is dragging it down ... And I do not mean a poorly seated drive connector because you have (you swear?) swapped out the PSU .. mobo .. x16 GPU all independently.

Something in your story does not jibe ... something about what swaps you did and how ... and where (I'll get to that) ... The story you have laid out is glossing over some oversight or shortcut or ommission, on your part.

You say you flashed the bios and reset it ??? did you see video (the bios screens?) ... or did you just fiddle with the reset jumpers, or what ??

Swapped mobos ??? Still could not see the bios but verified your GPU card is good ??

Does not "compute" (no pun) ...

... So ... You need to take better notes and be (even yet) more methodical at isolation of the fault ...

... At this point ... YOU MUST independently VERIFY (without doubt or fuzziness) that each component is "all good". On that other system (good you have it).

... There is something, here, that you did not do or that was not logged in the correct order.

.... If everything is "good" ... how could anything be "bad" ??? That is what I hear you saying.

The last time I ran into this ... we finally pinned it down to Thursday afternoons ... Which also happenned to be the times when a mobile MRI trailer was parked outside his clinic's window.

= Al =