PC Boots up but won't POST. All components power up but peripherals won't i.e. monitor/keyboard/mouse

amajorpayne

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Due to faulty parts in my previous build, I went ahead and purchased a new CX 750 Power supply along with a MSI 970A-G43 motherboard and a FX 4300 AMD Processor. My GPU is a AMD Radeon 380. As me and my cousin put it together, we ran into a problem. The PC boots up which is a good thing (before we bought the parts the pc wouldn't boot up at all). As we plug it into a monitor, no signal is being sent through. I'm using A monitor hdmi to a vgi pc cord. When I plugged in my keyboard or mouse to see if they would boot up but they failed to boot. Which leads me to believe that the back panel is getting no signal. I tried using one stick of RAM instead of two and still didn't POST. I also tried switching up the RAM sticks and still kaput. Is something plugged in wrong or is it a whole different problem?

Solution
Normally an hdmi to vga cable will not work, thats not what those are for. What you need is an HDMI to VGA Active converter (normally a small box) that will convert HDMI's digital signal to an analog VGA signal that the monitor needs. A Cable just by itself cannot do this conversion.

As for the boot issue. Power off and remove all the ram. Now power back on, does it beep at you?
- yes? thats a good sign that the system is at least checking for ram
- no? Check that the 24 pin power cable is seated properly (in front of the ram) and the 8pin EPS are plugged in (top rear of the motherboard)

The power cables are all labelled on that PSU if I remember right.

popatim

Titan
Normally an hdmi to vga cable will not work, thats not what those are for. What you need is an HDMI to VGA Active converter (normally a small box) that will convert HDMI's digital signal to an analog VGA signal that the monitor needs. A Cable just by itself cannot do this conversion.

As for the boot issue. Power off and remove all the ram. Now power back on, does it beep at you?
- yes? thats a good sign that the system is at least checking for ram
- no? Check that the 24 pin power cable is seated properly (in front of the ram) and the 8pin EPS are plugged in (top rear of the motherboard)

The power cables are all labelled on that PSU if I remember right.

Solution

Ebosch747

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Sometimes motherboards don't beep even if they are completely fine. Try resetting yout cmos(consult motherboard manual or google how to), swap the ram slots of the single stick, reseat random cables ( I recently had this problem and the fix was reseating the dvd drive sata cable). Another thing you can do is swap cmos battery (CR 2032 in most cases).