Question PC boots up, fans on, however my usb ports are faulty

Sep 12, 2022
Extra context in case it's needed - 10 month old prebuild - Intel Core i5 100400F, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Gforce 2060, also have no knowledge of computers, so please be patient with me if I struggle to understand something :)

A few days ago I noticed that when I tried to boot my PC up, it would turn on for a few seconds and then die again, and I got worried (mainly because I didn't want to have to pay to get it fixed or replaced because I don't think I have the money for that). I look up a video, and find one that goes through some troubleshooting you can do to see what's wrong with your PC. Turns out simply removing the CMOS battery, leaving it for a couple minutes and then putting it back in did the job, and it would boot again properly. However, all of a sudden, my mouse had died completely. Not too mad about that - it was nearly five years old and on it's way out anyway, and so I purchase a new one on Amazon. It arrived a few days ago and I'm trying it today for the first time - nothing.

I tested the mouse on my old laptop and it works fine, but on the PC nothing lights up, and so I can't access literally anything on my pc. I'm getting the feeling that there is something wrong with my USB ports, because literally zero of them appear to be working except for a moment where one of them was able to charge my wireless earphones. I'm just unsure if this is a mouse issue, a USB issue, or something else entirely. Mouse in question is a tecknet wired mouse, if anyone was wondering.

Please respond to this like you're explaining computers to a baby. When I say I know absolutely nothing about PC building or repair, it means I didn't know what a CMOS battery was last week.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model prebuild - who manufactured/built the PC?

One important thing to know is the make and model of the motherboard.

Are you able to determine what PSU (Power Supply Unit) is installed: make, model, wattage, rating?

And the PC may need a bit of maintenance. If you were able to uninstall and reinstall the CMOS battery then you can probably do a bit more troubleshooting inside the case.

Power down, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, cables, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components or areas, missing or loose screws, any swollen components.

Hopefully the problem is just that something has come loose over time due to expansion/contraction and/or vibrations.

Sep 12, 2022
What make and model prebuild - who manufactured/built the PC?

One important thing to know is the make and model of the motherboard.

Are you able to determine what PSU (Power Supply Unit) is installed: make, model, wattage, rating?

And the PC may need a bit of maintenance. If you were able to uninstall and reinstall the CMOS battery then you can probably do a bit more troubleshooting inside the case.

Power down, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, cables, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: pinched or kinked wires, bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components or areas, missing or loose screws, any swollen components.

Hopefully the problem is just that something has come loose over time due to expansion/contraction and/or vibrations.

The prebuild was by fiercepc (link), had a look around in there and nothing seems to be broken or out of place or damaged, and I got rid of all of the dust when I fiddled with the CMOS battery. Not sure about the motherboard or the PSU however.

Should also add an update that I've since bought another mouse that when plugged into the USB port, does light up, however when I go to wiggle it to send the signal for the monitor to turn on, the monitor doesn't get the signal, and now I'm wondering if there's anything wrong in relation to the HDMI cable either.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding FiercPC ( UK) I will need to defer to Forum members in the UK who may have knowledge about the company.

If possible at the next successful boot turn off all power and screen savers. Determine if the failures/problems end.

Also swap in known working cables where possible: the HDMI cable would be a good start.

And if you are able to achieve any successful boots then open Reliability History and Event Viewer. Open just one at a time.

Either tool or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the problems being experienced.

Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there. Reliability History presents a timeline format that can be very helpful in determining when problems began or reveal some pattern.

Sep 12, 2022
I'm confused. The computer does boot successfully - my issue is that I literally cannot use my pc. It turns on, the monitor turns on, but the HDMI cable recieves no signal and so the monitor goes on standby. Since I am unable to use my mouse to send alert the monitor to there being a signal (as I would when I would usually go on my PC to access my login), I can't do anything on it. There is no accessing ANYTHING at all. So I don't know what you mean by turning off all power and screen savers, and the HDMI cable does in fact work.