[SOLVED] PC boots with 2 ram sticks however it doesn't with 4

Feb 17, 2020
I have tried each stick of RAM and tested each slot to make sure there is not a problem with the sticks themselves or the ram slots. The PC will boot and work fine when i have two of the sticks in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 however if i have 2 next to each other - 1 and 2 , 2 and 3 etc it will only use one stick. If I have sticks in all 4, The LEDs come on but the pc does not boot at all.

Specs:

Motherboard - ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
RAM - 4 x HyperX DDR3 1866 MHz 4gb

Solution
Mixing memory (individual modules and separate kits) is always a gamble as to whether the memory will work together or not.

1) Try as per lynx1021 suggestion. If the configuration doesn't work then swap module kits (sets) so kit 1 in slots 1 and 3, with kit 2 in slots 2 and 4.

2) If still having problems, then try swapping modules in different slots to that used in item 1). This is less likely to be successful, but you never know.

3) If still no joy, then manually ease off DRAM timings in BIOS.

4) If still no good, then manually increase DRAM voltage in BIOS by ~ 0.5 V. Do not exceed 1.65 V.

5) If still having issues, then manually increase in BIOS the CPU NB Voltage just a bit.

5) If still having issues, then try another kit (in...

rgd1101

Don't
Even with identical ram?
correct. read the "The odd man out, (Or, mixed memory)"

Feb 17, 2020
correct. read the "The odd man out, (Or, mixed memory)"
So is there no way at all that I can fix it?

Mixing memory (individual modules and separate kits) is always a gamble as to whether the memory will work together or not.

1) Try as per lynx1021 suggestion. If the configuration doesn't work then swap module kits (sets) so kit 1 in slots 1 and 3, with kit 2 in slots 2 and 4.

2) If still having problems, then try swapping modules in different slots to that used in item 1). This is less likely to be successful, but you never know.

3) If still no joy, then manually ease off DRAM timings in BIOS.

4) If still no good, then manually increase DRAM voltage in BIOS by ~ 0.5 V. Do not exceed 1.65 V.

5) If still having issues, then manually increase in BIOS the CPU NB Voltage just a bit.

5) If still having issues, then try another kit (in different slots etc). This might require having to try several kits until a compatible combination is found. This is the most expensive and time consuming option.

Solution