PC boots with 4gb ram only.

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Hello everybody,so straight onto the point.
My PC can only boot with a 4gb ram stick for some odd reason.
My other 8gb crucial ballistix ram is surely not dead,as it works on another board.
With the same exact timings and frequencies.
Things I have tried:
-Switching ram position from slot to slot.(Not working)
-Replacing Motherboard battery.(Not working)
-Clearing CMOS.(Not working)
-Removing hardware that is not essential.(Not working)
Nothing works.I need help.

Solution
Several things:

1) You could have a limitation on your motherboard which only allows up to a certain RAM size. This is especially prevalent on older hardware. Most newer hardware support 16GB+. Obviously if you have an older board, 4GB might be the limit, and 8GB pushes it over the top.
2) If you have 32bit Windows, you can only access 4GB max (ok, 3.5Gb actual) anyhow. BUT that wouldn't keep you from booting. If your mobo supported > 4GB RAM it would boot, and windows could only 'see' 4GB of it. Regardless, if you have 32bit Windows, putting 8GB in is pointless.

So - more details and specs as mentioned.

-------------edit since you updated it-------------------

The board should support up to 64GB total, 16GB DIMMs, so an 8GB...

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Several things:

1) You could have a limitation on your motherboard which only allows up to a certain RAM size. This is especially prevalent on older hardware. Most newer hardware support 16GB+. Obviously if you have an older board, 4GB might be the limit, and 8GB pushes it over the top.
2) If you have 32bit Windows, you can only access 4GB max (ok, 3.5Gb actual) anyhow. BUT that wouldn't keep you from booting. If your mobo supported > 4GB RAM it would boot, and windows could only 'see' 4GB of it. Regardless, if you have 32bit Windows, putting 8GB in is pointless.

So - more details and specs as mentioned.

-------------edit since you updated it-------------------

The board should support up to 64GB total, 16GB DIMMs, so an 8GB should work (even if only in single channel mode. It could be possible that you have a bad slot somewhere.

Just as a quick note, it supports allegedly 64gb total, 16gb dimms, but it only has two slots. Not sure how that works since 16+16=32, and there's no more slots. Odd.

Looking at the support list though, what is the exact model of the crucial memory? There are some surprising limitations on the RAM in single/dual channel setups vs speed.

Solution

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

*accidentaly picked you as solution.....omg*
There is no way that the motherboard is not supporting 8gb ram.
As the exact stick i have was working a couple of weeks ago_On the motherboard i am using right now.
Pc specs are:
A-10 6800K.
R9 280x
Ram crucial ballistix 8gb 1333mhz.(current ram a transcend 4gb stick @1333mhz.)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Is that a single stick (1x8gb) or (2x4gb)?

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Single stick.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

If it's part number CT102464BA1339.16FDD - then it's on their QVL as tested and supported. No reason it shouldn't work. If you put it in the computer, will the computer go through the POST and try to start? Or do you just get a blank screen and it sits there like a paperweight?

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Computer goes through post and tries to start.I just dont have any display coming through my screen.
Everything else on the pc starts up normally including the CPU,GPU,HDD,Fans,Cooler,and everything else.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
So - you should be able to get into the BIOS and those settings, right? Only when it gets to actually booting to Windows is when it fails.

Try getting into the BIOS and get the settings to reset everything back to basics, as in 'load optimized defaults'. Then make sure you have the right boot drive and order set, and especially get the graphics set to 'init pci-e first' since I imagine that's what you have the display hooked up to.

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

No.It Does NOT go into bios or anything.
My thought is that it boots to windows normally and everything.But no display is coming out.

Giannis Kefalakis

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Alright.Will try that later.
Thank you.Will keep you updated.