Question PC boots with wake on lan disabled

Apr 4, 2019
Hi all, hope this is the right forum to post this. Wasn’t able to find any info on google but my problem is I have a Desktop pc and surface pro tablet with shared folders for movies etc.

The issue is when my PC is off and I open a folder that is shared on my surface pro, it causes my PC to boot up (not even trying to access a shared folder on the pc). I don’t have to open any files, simply opening the folder will make my pc boot up.

PC has MSI meg z390, wake on lan in bios is off, removed network as one of the boot priority options but it still happens.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

Is the PC in sleep or hibernate when this happens? I don't know of shared folders being able to boot a server. If I turned off a share server at work and tried to access the files it wouldn't turn on and the system would get an error that the folder is not available.

However in sleep or hibernate the system is still on in a lower power state and could be listening for access to those shared folders, which when a system does have connections to shared folders when it loads up it will try to connect to them so they are ready for you to access.