Question PC bootup issues - random behaviour ?

shmaher

Commendable
Nov 20, 2019
My PC (summary config below) refuses to boot up sometimes. I notice the CPU and their components are up but the monitor light just keeps blinking.

Earlier I would ensure proper connection, give the wires a gentle shake and reboot successfully. I sometimes need to do this repeatedly until the monitor comes to life!!

Of late, I get the following message in addition -
"Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was but SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues Press F1 to Run SETUP"

I hit F1 and exit without making changes to BIOS and the PC successfully launches windows etc.

Please let me know how I resolve this for good. Is it RAID or faulty RAM or something else?

Please help.

Regards,
Sandeep H. Maher

P.S. System Spec Summary:
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz 47 °C Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
  • RAM: 24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36)
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX H270F GAMING (LGA1151) 36 °C
  • Graphics: DELL SE2416H (1920x1080@59Hz) Intel HD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ZOTAC International) 48 °C
  • SLI Disabled
  • Storage: 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM005-2CW102 (SATA ) 39 °C ; 447GB Crucial CT480BX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD)) 39 °C
  • Optical Drives: No optical disk drives detected
  • Audio: High Definition Audio Device

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think bios version v1205 will do fine.

Earlier I would ensure proper connection, give the wires a gentle shake and reboot successfully. I sometimes need to do this repeatedly until the monitor comes to life!!

What cables do you need to shake?

Of late, I get the following message in addition -
"Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting. After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was but SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues Press F1 to Run SETUP"
Would make sure in the bios sata mode is set to AHCI. What happens if you check that and safe changes instead of not saving?

Reactions: Vez1rc1k

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What psu is in the pc? =maker+model+wattage.

Get a new battery for the motherboard and swap it, is a cheap thing to replace.

cr3032-batterijen.jpg

shmaher

Commendable
Nov 20, 2019
Hi Vic,

I will look to change the CMOS battery in a day or two.

The PSU is ANTEC EAG PRO 750W.

An issue I have observed over the past few days which I missed mentioning is that the PC on/off switch does not work straight away. I shut off from the mains a few times and then the PC on/off LED switch turns white and the PC hums into action.

Thanks for all the help.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I will look to change the CMOS battery in a day or two.
Hope this will help for the bios to keep settings. Might also be good if it doesn't to test with another psu if you can lend one, maybe from a friend or local shop ..

Might in the end being the motherboard that starts to crap out. You can try and start the pc by shorting the two pins on the motherboard directly with a screwdriver or something like that, see if that has another result.

shmaher

Commendable
Nov 20, 2019
Thanks Vic. I am afraid I will not be able to 'short' it myself but should be a good suggestion for the hardware technician. Appreciate all the help.

Will post updates later if needed.

shmaher

Commendable
Nov 20, 2019
You figured out already which cables to shake to make it boot? Was it maybe a sata cable to an ssd or one to the motherboard for power?

I don't do this anymore. It does not matter it seems so can be ignored.

This is an odd nr, do you use three sticks? Do you have problems if you only use one stick in the second slot from the cpu out?

I have 3 sticks of 8GB each. Thanks, I will need to try out your suggestion.

I am quite irritated but used to the daily rigmarole of error popping re. turning on RAID etc, hitting F1 and F10 to exit BIOS and then enter windows. Earlier I did try loading default optimised BIOS settings but that did not help.

shmaher

Commendable
Nov 20, 2019
Hi Vic, are you implying that I use one of the sleepstates and keep the PC on?
I am not a nerd but I checked and found (through powercfg) that S0, S1 and S2 are not available.