Question PC Break Question

Gerjaffers

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Hello,
So I think my pc is 10 years old and I was wondering when it will break?
And also will it be fine for another five years because my brother gave it to me and he said it will be fine.
So is this true?
thanks

Impossible to say. It could last 20 more years, it could break while you are reading this post.
Generally speaking if a system did reach 10 years of age the chances are its going to last a decent bit longer (as most random failures tend to happen early in product lifes).
I wouldnt count on it lasting a specific amount of time, use it and enjoy it until you cant. When something does fail, assess then what you can do.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would mention a few things (blindly) since we don't know what the build is.

If you have HDD they are approaching an age that you might not want to count on them for critical storage. If it is the OS drive, purchasing a Solid State drive would be a great update for seat of the pants feel. It would make that system far more responsive almost regardless of hardware.

You might wish to consider a new power supply. Without knowing specifics it is impossible to recommend anything, and particularly if this is a pre-built system. Even good power supplies start to get worrisome after the 10+ year mark.

Make sure you are keeping to a regular schedule of blowing dust out of the PC case and components. It could last you a long time going forward with these tips in mind.

TRENDING THREADS