[SOLVED] PC bricks / crashes during games, despite low temps

Veregund

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello,

The past few months or so, my PC has been crashing during games (I haven't had reason to push my PC other than gaming). No BSoD; just shuts down spontaneously. I do notice that the crashing happens FAR more often with more demanding games (Call of Duty crashes all the time; the Witcher less than a handful of times; never crashed with any other game). I have seen just one crash during non-game activity (Netflix).

It seems to have randomly started occurring over the past few months (no major component change or anything), and the frequency seems to be increasing with time. For instance, just last night, I booted up Call of Duty, and the PC crashed before I even entered a game. A couple months ago, the crashing tended to wait a few hours.

When the PC crashes, the MoBo lights stay on. However, I can't turn the PC back on. When I press the power button on the case, I can hear an ever-so-faint "buzz," but nothing happens. Instead, I need to hold-down the button for 10 seconds (I assume this is some kind of MoBo "hard reset"?). Sometimes (but not often), that doesn't even work, and I need to unplug the power supply and wait for a few hours.

Temps appear fine (per Core Temp and GPU-Z). At worst, CPU doesn't exceed 70 degrees, GPU doesn't exceed 70 degrees. CPU tends to hover in low 60s; GPU in high 60s (during games). Idle CPU temps are typically 27-32 degrees.

Here are specs:

MOBO: ASUS Maximus Hero XI Wi-Fi
CPU: Core i7-9700K (w/ Corsair H100i cooler)
Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR4
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia RTX 2080 (Gaming OC 8GB edition)
Storage: 2.5TB Samsung Evo SSDs
PSU: Corsair AX750\
Monitor: Acer Predator (runs at 4K resolution, let me know if u need more details).
Case: Corsair 678c

Most of my components are within a couple years old, with the exception of the PSU, which is at least 5 years old (can't really remember when I got it...).

I actually ordered a new Corsair HX1200Watt PSU, which is (allegedly) coming next week, but was hoping I can diagnose the problem in the meantime. The lack of understanding is killing me.

My CPU Cooler and Case are actually brand new as of yesterday. Was hoping maybe there was a cooling issue, but like I said, it crashed again last night once I booted up Call of Duty.

Please help. I sorely miss smooth gaming in quarantine!

Thank you very much.

Tony