Question PC BSOD only when idle or playing non-demanding games. Hoping somebody can read my dumps and help

May 14, 2024
I have tried almost everything I can find on the internet trying to resolve my blue screen issue, I have been receiving "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" for about a month now. I'm starting to suspect that I need to replace components but I haven't been able to nail anything down as the specific cause and was hoping somebody would be able to read my dump files and point me in the right direction or even give more advice that might help me resolve this without spending money.

These crashes happen mostly when I'm not playing any games or games that are light on resources. I've had multiple crashes when just using my pc normally, 2 on Trombone Champ, but none on Destiny 2 even after playing for upwards of 4 - 6 hours in a single session. I will leave my system specs and peripherals below in case it helps.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800X3D
MOBO - MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max Wifi
RAM - 2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 -3600 CL18
GPU - RTX3070Ti (MSI Gaming X Trio)
SSDs - 1Tb Crucial P5 Plus (Boot drive) & 2Tb Crucial P5 Plus (Games drive)
PSU - Corsair RM850X

Dump File zip - https://gofile.io/d/EdkkLv

The PC was built by me in October 2022 with all parts being purchased new in that same month.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have tried almost everything I can find on the internet trying to resolve my blue screen issue
What have you tried so we're not repeating steps you've taken prior to the creation of this thread?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Using WinDbg, I see all items being flagged with ntkrnlmp.exe, where did you source the installer for your OS?

May 14, 2024

I have tried almost everything I can find on the internet trying to resolve my blue screen issue
What have you tried so we're not repeating steps you've taken prior to the creation of this thread?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Using WinDbg, I see all items being flagged with ntkrnlmp.exe, where did you source the installer for your OS?
I have ran mem tests on both of my ram sticks and they came back as passes, this was by doing each stick individually. I have reinstalled windows on my boot drive from Microsoft's own website. I had been running the same install of windows that I originally got form the same source back in October 2022 when I built the pc when these issues originally occurred so they have persisted through a fresh install.

Bios version 7D54v12 is what I'm currently on, this is the earliest driver that supports my X3D CPU

In terms of other things I have tried: I've doen "sfc scannow" in CMD along with "CHKDSK." I've done Windows mem test and memtest 86 all of which have came back without error. I've updated every driver that was out of date, including uninstalling and reinstalling my Nvidia graphics driver. I've tried disabling XMP on my ram and running my PC with one stick (I managed to go 6 days without a BSOD using one stick but then randomly I got 4 in one day despite having made no changes to my system. I've also tried doing AMD chipset drivers through their software.

May 7, 2024
If you're not overclocking and it's not the RAM, we can check the CPU a bit further. This person found success by tweaking their voltages, but you should try stress testing your CPU first. If that doesn't work, we need to investigate drivers.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024
You're getting extremely low-level errors in critical system processes with little commonality between them. Either another driver outside the picture is dropping the floor out from under the OS or it's a hardware issue likely due to CPU instability or motherboard failure. Try stress testing your CPU.

The fact that it's happening more when idle or under low system stress is weird though, and might point to driver issues. I did notice that all of the other processors at the time of the two crashes that included that information were idle and locked up in amdppm!ReadIoMemRaw. amdppm.sys is a driver that controls your CPU power states, and so that's probably normal though.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024
You're getting extremely low-level errors in critical system processes with little commonality between them. Either another driver outside the picture is dropping the floor out from under the OS or it's a hardware issue likely due to CPU instability or motherboard failure. Try stress testing your CPU.

The fact that it's happening more when idle or under low system stress is weird though, and might point to driver issues. I did notice that all of the other processors at the time of the two crashes that included that information were idle and locked up in amdppm!ReadIoMemRaw. amdppm.sys is a driver that controls your CPU power states, and so that's probably normal though.
I'm gonna run some stress tests when I get the time tomorrow. In terms of drivers though, I got a new keyboard (ROG Azoth) about a week and half before I started getting all these errors in the first place so is there any possibility that it could be the cause. The only new driver I would've installed recently to my knowledge would've been whatever happens when you plug in a keyboard for the first time.

May 14, 2024
Stress testing my CPU didn't cause any BSOD or flag any errors in the software so it doesn't seem like that is the issue, just to make sure that I wasn't putting any more load on the system I ran the stress test as the only program open and it never crashed over the couple hours I ran the test.

May 14, 2024

Sorry to be a pest but I was wondering if you had anymore input on this or had seen my reply I sent you a couple of days ago. Since then I've updated my bios to it's latest version "7D54v18" and done some stress tests on my CPU, other guy thinks it could be related to drivers and I had mentioned that I recently got a new keyboard.

May 14, 2024
So after some time of leaving Destiny 2 open I've started getting graphic runtime issues which give error code "Broccoli" after some quick googling I found this reddit thread that points to a driver crash in event viewer that goes by the name of "nvlddmkm." What a couple people seem to say in that thread is that this error is mostly caused by memory incompatibility or issues. So I went onto MSI's website after getting the part number for my RAM, put that into their memory compatibility checker for my mobo and it came back with no result, could it be possible that I've gotten lucky with running my current RAM on my board for this long and it's just now starting to become a problem?