Question PC BSOD when hitting high CPU usage in launching Minecraft ?

Nov 10, 2022
My main problem is that this has been happening pretty much on and off for a while now, whenever I tend to try and launch Minecraft my computer reaches around 100% CPU usage and then freezes and BSODs. I get the error Clock_Watchdog_Timeout or something like that and I don't know why it's even happening. This has really only happened with MC and it's worked fine before.

Specs:
GPU: Strix 980
CPU: i7-4790k
PSU: Corsair CX-650W
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VII HERO
RAM: 32GB 1600HZ

DMP file : https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag9btMa_OVV5gQAtmLa3ck7xV55Y?e=tc1Jfn

Colif

Win 11 Master
memory dump is corrupted. it only took 6 seconds to run dump, that is too fast

File: MEMORY.DMP (Nov 10 2022 - 21:13:46)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_0000000000000000 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_0000000000000000
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: https://www.google.com/search?q=)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

doesn't really help.

what temps like? cleaned fans/heatsinks recently?

try running this on CPU - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?

what storage drives do you have?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That looks better

Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 111022-8515-01.dmp (Nov 10 2022 - 22:25:18)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMEFASI64.SYS
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: NortonSecurity)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

try uninsitalling Norton and see if you still get BSOD
May 17 2022SYMEFASI64.SYSSymantec Extended File Attributes (SI) https://www.symantec.com/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nothing is ever that easy

Conversion of dumps

File: 111122-8375-01.dmp (Nov 11 2022 - 16:51:18)
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

back to unknowns but I have an idea
victim this time was Defender. Last time it was Norton. Makes me think its either a virus or Internet drivers
Jan 30 2022e1d.sysIntel Ethernet
try running this and see if it has any new lan drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

hard to scan for a virus if it keeps killing virus scanners. Could run this - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

Nov 10, 2022
idle temps currently around 37 degrees and yeah, it's really only been when I've tried launching Minecraft. It's happened a few times with Rocket League but that seemed to have been fixed somehow. In my computer I have 4 sticks of 8gb ram in.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How long have you used all 4 sticks?
are the 4 sticks from one set or did you buy them by themselves?
intel cpu better at coping with miss matched sets but the more you put together, the more chance of errors.

i had a 4690k, it used to idle lower than that. Is that normal for yours? (before I got this pc I thought anything over 40c was hot, now that is normal)
Guess it could depend on ambient temps and if its summer where you are.

GPU: Strix 980
i had one of those as well, mine was replaced just as its thermal paste appears to have dried up as I was getting hotter temps on it the last few times I ran it.

Nov 10, 2022
My computer is a prebuilt from a rather sketchy company. I'm aware that my computer probably has some problems with it but most of the stuff is tied together using plastic ties. I've had this computer since about December last year as I got it as a present. I'm not aware of much other things thought if needed the computer was brought from ManlyLaptops. Here is the link: Asus Gaming Desktop (manlylaptops.com.au)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I haven't been to Manly in um... wow, almost 30 years. (I live in the ACT).
None of their cases seem to be designed for airflow which is funny for Sydney.

refurbished - So I wonder what is new in there.
980 might not be as old as I suspected then
I wonder what CPU cooler you have. how many fans in that case?

clock watchdog timeout is a CPU error. its not one of the ones as I auto match with a hardware error. it can be drivers. One of your errors mentioned a driver so far, so it could still be software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what temperatures do you get when gaming?
I guess 2 fans are at front and one at rear
I can see its got vents along front, and one on side of case. and vents on top but they more for exhaust
its a fractal design case so they pretty good. I don't know them well enough to guess the model

might have to wait for next crash and see what it shows us.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

File: 111122-8546-01.dmp (Nov 11 2022 - 20:19:28)
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

seems its not going to be so obvious with this driver.

I might get you to run driver verifer. Its going to make PC slower so I wouldn't try playing minecraft while its on.
It can also cause bootloops, its why I have a few steps to take (they in post) to make sure you can get out again. Its part of windows, its just not on all the time. Its job is to test drivers

it will cause BSOD but hopefully also show us the driver name.

Nov 10, 2022
I went and manually overclocked it using a guide, should I set everything back to default or keep the power and temp limit at max. Also, how do I find out my CPU Cooler.
P

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would set everything back to defaults.

I am just wondering if its got the default Intel cooler on it. Can you take a photo of what it looks like? that would give us a clue. upload images to image sharing website like imgur and show link here.