[SOLVED] PC budget build - Was eyeing the i5-10600k processor?

LordPM

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Hi folks!

My old pc is slowly duying so i have to replace at least a few parts. I was thinking of replacing the motherboard, processor and ram for now. Will replace to the gpu once the prices come down a little.
I was eyeing the i5-10600k processor on newegg that had 80$ off. Was wondering if it was a good choice? If it is, what's a good budget motherboard and RAM to go with it?
To be fair i don't game that much we play some Civilization IV, Skyrim, Valheim, TeamFight Tactics. Of course if for a bit more bucks i can have a lot better i'll invest but i don't see any point going crazy for me right now, i have no time to game much with the kids. I just want something that'll work fine for a while and that with a good gpu in the future can run ''most'' game ok. I don't mind going AMD if the best deals are there by a mile, but if it's close with intel, i'd prefer to stick with intel. I've been intel for the past 25 years and never regretted it.

Thanks guys!

Solution
There is a great deal of "reviewer" discussion about the value in the xx400 series of i5 CPU. Typically, the performance is barely below the K skew for much less power, heat, and cost.

IMO, as far as shopping for those components I would suggest seeing if you have a MicroCenter nearby, or even if a bit of a drive compare to your favorite retailer. They generally offer the best price on CPU, by far. They bundle compatible motherboards for an additional $20 off. Their RAM prices are about on par with others so you could find a better deal on that elsewhere.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is a great deal of "reviewer" discussion about the value in the xx400 series of i5 CPU. Typically, the performance is barely below the K skew for much less power, heat, and cost.

IMO, as far as shopping for those components I would suggest seeing if you have a MicroCenter nearby, or even if a bit of a drive compare to your favorite retailer. They generally offer the best price on CPU, by far. They bundle compatible motherboards for an additional $20 off. Their RAM prices are about on par with others so you could find a better deal on that elsewhere.

Solution