[SOLVED] Pc build advice - $877USD ($1260.00 AUD)

Jul 12, 2020
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/J7QrFG

This is the computer I planning to buy. Im going to put in my GTX 970 card temporarily and upgrade to RTX 3000 series card when they come out later this year. My workload includes high-end gaming, 3D game development and C++ development with large codebases (Can be done in parallel across multiple CPU cores).

Any suggestions or recommended changes to my build?

Solution
Get a better power supply, I know prices aren't great right now but that's not a good unit, a 970 would definitely be a risk with that PSU.

You can go with this one : https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-5501-afaag-us

Which RTX 3000 are you planning to put in the system? Do you have an approximate budget for the card? I would also agree with getting faster memory, sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 is 3600 MHz, so try to get something around that speed. Do you really think that a 2 TB SSD is a good way to use up one-third of your budget? I would frankly suggest getting a 500-ish GB M.2 and go with a 1 TB 2.5" SSD. Games don't benefit from M.2...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would move over to something like G Skill Ripjaws 3200+ mhz memory and see if you can't save some there. Would mention the B450 Tomahawk Max, but unsure of form factor. Think something serious is going on with pricing of your storage solution?

Jul 12, 2020
I would move over to something like G Skill Ripjaws 3200+ mhz memory and see if you can't save some there. Would mention the B450 Tomahawk Max, but unsure of form factor. Think something serious is going on with pricing of your storage solution?
Yeah, the storage is super expensive It seems it is impossible to get it cheaper in Australia. We get pretty screwed over here. You are probably right with the memory as the extra speed is probably beneficial for Ryzen.

Reactions: punkncat
Get a better power supply, I know prices aren't great right now but that's not a good unit, a 970 would definitely be a risk with that PSU.

You can go with this one : https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-5501-afaag-us

Which RTX 3000 are you planning to put in the system? Do you have an approximate budget for the card? I would also agree with getting faster memory, sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 is 3600 MHz, so try to get something around that speed. Do you really think that a 2 TB SSD is a good way to use up one-third of your budget? I would frankly suggest getting a 500-ish GB M.2 and go with a 1 TB 2.5" SSD. Games don't benefit from M.2 storage over a normal 2.5" drive, and 500 GB should (probably?) be enough for the other tasks you do that might benefit from this. You could also go for 1 TB M.2 and 1 TB 2.5", that would probably still be cheaper.

Do you have a specific reason for going with a Mini tower case? If not, I would suggest getting a mid-tower since it gives you the option to get an ATX board as well, just a nice additional compatibility feature to have.

With these changes, these are the parts I ended up with, actually spending LESS than what you were and getting better components, mainly due to the storage being cheaper, allowing better components in other areas:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.30 @ Newegg Australia)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($166.60 @ Device Deal)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($135.30 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($155.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.10 @ Newegg Australia)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1163.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-13 12:03 AEST+1000

Solution
Jul 12, 2020

Which RTX 3000 are you planning to put in the system? Do you have an approximate budget for the card? I would also agree with getting faster memory, sweet spot for Ryzen 3000 is 3600 MHz, so try to get something around that speed. Do you really think that a 2 TB SSD is a good way to use up one-third of your budget? I would frankly suggest getting a 500-ish GB M.2 and go with a 1 TB 2.5" SSD. Games don't benefit from M.2 storage over a normal 2.5" drive, and 500 GB should (probably?) be enough for the other tasks you do that might benefit from this. You could also go for 1 TB M.2 and 1 TB 2.5", that would probably still be cheaper.

Do you have a specific reason for going with a Mini tower case? If not, I would suggest getting a mid-tower since it gives you the option to get an ATX board as well, just a nice additional compatibility feature to have.

With these changes, these are the parts I ended up with, actually spending LESS than what you were and getting better components, mainly due to the storage being cheaper, allowing better components in other areas:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.30 @ Newegg Australia)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($166.60 @ Device Deal)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($135.30 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($155.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.10 @ Newegg Australia)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1163.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-13 12:03 AEST+1000
You make some really good points. I have updated my build to this https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/SamCarey/saved/qR4mkL.

With the storage the idea of having two drives kind of puts me off. I would prefer a single drive. I think I'm willing to pay the extra $85 AUD to have it all in one. As far as the graphics card is considered I was thinking either the 3060 or 3070 but will wait to see what their prices and performance is.

You make some really good points. I have updated my build to this https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/SamCarey/saved/qR4mkL.

With the storage the idea of having two drives kind of puts me off. I would prefer a single drive. I think I'm willing to pay the extra $85 AUD to have it all in one. As far as the graphics card is considered I was thinking either the 3060 or 3070 but will wait to see what their prices and performance is.
Looks good, and if you are fine paying extra for the storage you can absolutely go for it, I was just trying to give you the best value, of course your personal preference is more important than that.