Pc build compatibility 8th gen intel processors

Nahuelic12

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016
Hello, i would like to know if the following build is fully compatible and will cause no issues in the future:
Proccesor: Intel Core i3 8100
Motherboard: GIGABYTE H370 HD3
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT White 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB Mini
Soundcard: MIA MIDI
Cooling: Water Cooling Corsair H60 CFW 54 (apparently is the 2016 version)
HDD: Seagate 1TB
PSU: Corsair VS500
Case: Corsair Spec Alpha

There was a short circuit with a previous build (processor and motherboard were different from this one) caused by a pci adapter, causing the motherboard and processor to die, but i have test the PSU, RAM, GPU and soundcard and they worked, do i have to check the rest of the components or is it fine?

Solution
Yes, H60 is definitely better than stock cooler but there are air coolers in the same price range that cool even better. But then again, AiO's look cleaner and prettier inside the case than bulky air coolers, so that's a pluss.

Knowing what your dad does, he'd thank you later if you got him an external sound card. That sounds like a good present next holidays or birthday.

VS series aren't bad per se, but they have terrible capacitors that might cause ripple. It also makes diagnosing crashes and other issues harder.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
The build looks fine, everything's compatible. Although, why the sound card? Mobos have decent integrated sound chips these days which make sound cards for regular users obsolete. If you need one for productivity or whatever, I'd suggest an external soundcard as there also be less interference as opposed if it was inside the case.

Also, please change your PSU. Corsair VS series are bad units and are not recommended. It's a crucial part of a pc, pretty much the most important part, so cheaping out on it is never a good thing. Try Corsair CXM series (grey label), i.e. Corsair CX450M or CX550M. Or even a better unit, like, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W or EVGA G2, G3 series.

EDIT:

The AiO you chose isn't particularly good unless you picked it for the looks. For that price, there are boss air coolers that can do a way better job at cooling. 8100 comes with a stock cooler which is enough, but can get loud. Plenty of options, but this one isn't a bang for the buck, imho.

Nahuelic12

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016

Hello, thank you for your answer. To answer your question, i'm not the one who uses the soundcard, is my dad, who works as sound engineer and editor, he uses Sound Forge and i have told him to stop using the card and get a new one because of what you said, but he just won't listen :/

About the PSU, i have read really good reviews about it, and to back it up, it didn't fail on me when the first build died, right after the whole thing happened i tried it and worked as expected, so i cannot see why are you saying it's a bad PSU, but anyways, i came here for answers of experts and i got one, so i guess you are right, it's the first thing i will upgrade once i can afford a new one.

About the AiO, i already bought it and it worked pretty good, kept my system really cool with the proccesor not going higher than 60 degrees celcius, wich is something i couldn't achieve with the stock cooler. Not saying that is the best but it really satisfied me, i guess is because i haven't tried another one, but whatever.

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
Yes, H60 is definitely better than stock cooler but there are air coolers in the same price range that cool even better. But then again, AiO's look cleaner and prettier inside the case than bulky air coolers, so that's a pluss.

Knowing what your dad does, he'd thank you later if you got him an external sound card. That sounds like a good present next holidays or birthday.

VS series aren't bad per se, but they have terrible capacitors that might cause ripple. It also makes diagnosing crashes and other issues harder.

Solution

Nahuelic12

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016

I understand, i'll keep it in mind. And for the external sound card, that's a great idea haha.

Anyways, do you think the PSU is fine and will not cause any problems? Since the MOBO short circuited, I'm scared that the PSU has been affected by this and cause damage to my new components. I will replace it as fast as i can.

i have concerns at the PSU too, i suggest the PSU to be replaced as a safety precaution.

the thing with psu is that sometime it damage is hidden, for example voltage ripples will be larger than the normal ones at higher loads, but unless you have very specific equipment, you can't test it, and these ripples can cause intermittent failure that's difficult to troubleshoot.

Nahuelic12

Reputable
Dec 30, 2016

Damn, i guess i gonna have it tested by the tech support then, i'm scared that something else happens.
Thank you for your answer.