Question PC build compatibility check + recommendations (if any)

TheMarmaladeMaiden

Honorable
Mar 7, 2014
Hi,
Following the repeated death and resuscitation of my current PC, Frankenstein’s First Child, I’m looking to build a new and more capable one. I’ve split the list into items I have to purchase, and items I can bring in from the current PC.

Items needed:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Items I have:
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Mini Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair VS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

The PC is mainly going to be used for gaming as well as rendering and 3d modelling. I usually have to work on large heavy 3d files, often on multiple softwares simultaneously, hence I felt the excessive RAM might help.

Just wanted another pair of eyes to let me know if there might be any errors in compatibility or requirements that I may have overseen, are there better alternatives for any of these components, would I need a different CPU cooler, would there be a heating problem, is is possible to SLI on this board (if I upgrade my GPU) in the future, etc..

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Agree with Lutfij, those Corsair VS units are pretty rubbish. Strongly recommend you get a good quality new PSU, especially given your getting high end cpu, mobo and RAM. I'm assuming you've got a case that fits all those HDDs already? Also might be worth considering getting the non-wifi version of that board and buying a separate Wifi card, might be cheaper? Might enable you to then up your M.2 to 1TB...

TheMarmaladeMaiden

Honorable
Mar 7, 2014
Which labelled VS are you looking at and how old is that PSU? I would suggest picking up a more reliably built unit like the TX series.
It's an 80 plus white, been running for around 3 years after my old cx650 shorted. I found a TX550M, since I don't reckon the power requirements are anywhere near 650W, so I'll switch out the PSU in the build. Just out of curiousity, how are the VS units bad?

I'm assuming you've got a case that fits all those HDDs already? Also might be worth considering getting the non-wifi version of that board and buying a separate Wifi card, might be cheaper? Might enable you to then up your M.2 to 1TB...

I've got my current case as a backup (corsair c70 mid tower), but I'm looking for a new one.. As of yet, wasn't able to find anything that could hold 3x3.5" HDDs, so I might drop one if I can't find it. Still looking for something that has good ventilation but also dust protection.

Yes, I think I have a wifi card lying around, I'll switch out the mobo to a non wifi version. The amount I save with the switch is 1/5th of what I need to go upto a 1tb M.2 (1tb is around $278 where I am, the 500gb is half that), so I'll stick to the 500gb for now.

Last edited:

TheMarmaladeMaiden

Honorable
Mar 7, 2014
I can go in for the TX550M, that would run me around $100, and I'm holding around $100-150 for a case, so around $1400. I could bump my budget up by another $100-150, if there’s a better alternative for any component. I will be planning on adding some 2.5” SSDs later when required, but that is another story.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($400)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($238)

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($200)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($150)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($130)

Power Supply: Corsair TX550M Semi Modular ($118)

Case: (~$150)

Total: $1386

(Note: Based in India, hence the prices are higher.)