[SOLVED] Pc Build compatibility questions

Dec 12, 2020
Haven't built a new PC in a long time. My last one I bought from Xidax pre built,. I want to build something a bit newer but don't wont to pay another company to build it for me. Also I'm starting from scratch because the Xidax PC is still under warranty and I'm going to give it to one of my kids to use.
Also I've always been a Intel guy but it seem Ryzen has pretty much taken over, and I want to give that a shot. Here's my build list so far from part picker.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wQKJmk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Memory: Team T-Force XTREEM ARGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Addlink S70 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

A few things about the list -
  • I haven't fully decided if I want to use the MSI ACE or MSI Godlike MOBO. I'm learning towards the ACE because I don't feel ill need the extra SATA connections, and that's really the big difference that I see. also its like half the price..
  • I have 4 different RAMs selected. My first choice was to try out the Team T-Force XTREEM because I saw a recommendation from this site that it pairs well Ryzen. That was until I saw .....
"Note: The Team T-Force XTREEM ARGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the AMD Zen 3 CPU recommended maximum of 1.35 V+7% (1.444 V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.35 V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the AMD recommended maximum. "

Not sure how much that effects things so I started looking at other memory and that's where the other selections come from. Not sure what's best here in this to pair with the 5950x, 2x16GBs is what I'm going for.

- Next is storage. I was going to use the Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB for the Operating system and applications. Then I was going to use Addlink S70 1 TB for game storage to save a bit of cash. Again was going with this from a recommendation from Toms. Has anyone tried this SSD? Should I just spring for another 980 Pro 1Tb?

Any thoughts, input, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Haven't built a new PC in a long time. My last one I bought from Xidax pre built,. I want to build something a bit newer but don't wont to pay another company to build it for me. Also I'm starting from scratch because the Xidax PC is still under warranty and I'm going to give it to one of my kids to use.
Also I've always been a Intel guy but it seem Ryzen has pretty much taken over, and I want to give that a shot. Here's my build list so far from part picker.

• I haven't fully decided if I want to use the MSI ACE or MSI Godlike MOBO. I'm learning towards the ACE because I don't feel ill need the extra SATA connections, and that's really the big difference that I see. also its like half the...

• I haven't fully decided if I want to use the MSI ACE or MSI Godlike MOBO. I'm learning towards the ACE because I don't feel ill need the extra SATA connections, and that's really the big difference that I see. also its like half the price..
  • I have 4 different RAMs selected. My first choice was to try out the Team T-Force XTREEM because I saw a recommendation from this site that it pairs well Ryzen. That was until I saw .....

"Note: The Team T-Force XTREEM ARGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the AMD Zen 3 CPU recommended maximum of 1.35 V+7% (1.444 V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.35 V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the AMD recommended maximum. "

Not sure how much that effects things so I started looking at other memory and that's where the other selections come from. Not sure what's best here in this to pair with the 5950x, 2x16GBs is what I'm going for.

- Next is storage. I was going to use the Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB for the Operating system and applications. Then I was going to use Addlink S70 1 TB for game storage to save a bit of cash. Again was going with this from a recommendation from Toms. Has anyone tried this SSD? Should I just spring for another 980 Pro 1Tb?

Any thoughts, input, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Compatibility is there, no problem, I think you found good combo.
Don't worry about memory voltage, they as well as MB are quite ready for much higher voltage.
Any SSD let alone an NVME are more than fast enough for storage and games.

Reactions: Kabraxis314
Solution
Dec 12, 2020
Compatibility is there, no problem, I think you found good combo.
Don't worry about memory voltage, they as well as MB are quite ready for much higher voltage.
Any SSD let alone an NVME are more than fast enough for storage and games.

Out of the RAM selected, what do you think would be the best combo to go with the GPU? Whether its the 1.45 or 1.35.
Do you think its worth the extra money to get the 980 Pros? I'm going for "future proof", as much as I can anyway.

Any other input about the RAM voltage?
Just don't worry about RAM voltage, whatever is set in XMP will be fine.
Samsung 980 pro, Well, it's pretty "Future proof" with it's PCIe v4 interface, also very fast but there other ones with lower price. Speed difference from let's say 970 evo is impressive on paper but for now I doubt it would show in real work. I have never seen even my 960evo used close to 100%. Only then it would slow down.
For storage you don't really need as fast SSD, SATA or even HDD do just as good job.

Reactions: Kabraxis314
Dec 12, 2020
Just don't worry about RAM voltage, whatever is set in XMP will be fine.
Samsung 980 pro, Well, it's pretty "Future proof" with it's PCIe v4 interface, also very fast but there other ones with lower price. Speed difference from let's say 970 evo is impressive on paper but for now I doubt it would show in real work. I have never seen even my 960evo used close to 100%. Only then it would slow down.
For storage you don't really need as fast SSD, SATA or even HDD do just as good job.

Thank you, I'll give the addlinks a go then. They seem pretty good for almost half the price. I want to use just ssd's for a cleaner less bulky look compared to hhd's. The MOBO has 3 slots, might as well take advantage of them.

Reactions: CountMike