[SOLVED] PC Build Components and Budget...???

Tiger_Bite_Kid

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
If someone has a very 'low' or tight budget going into a PC build...Which part of a PC is usually the best/safest bet for skimping on and buying low so you can save some extra cash that can go somewhere else that is more important...???

For example...I know that the CPU, RAM and OS Hard Drive is one of those parts you really do not want to skimp on.

Should I skimp on the case...? Motherboard...? Power Supply...?

I have seen a lot of people go case-less in a desktop PC and their PC runs fine. So...it got me wondering if I should go case-less in order to save some money. I know that dust is the primary factor when going case-less but I don't mind the extra cleaning.

Is it safe to go case-less for a while or would most people highly advise not going case-less...?

Solution
The order of importance on components is more like GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU, in that order. You should never leave the GPU out, as it does the lion's share of the work in most games. The CPU and RAM also need to be able to keep up with it, as one calculates, and the other briefly stores rendering data before it's sent to the GPU to be rendered onscreen. If they can't do that in keeping up with the GPU, it has to wait to get it's rendering data, which can cause stutter and freezing. There's still ways to get a fast enough CPU without blowing a lot of money on it though. For instance the HyperThreading on Intel i7 series rarely helps game performance, so you shouldn't pay for an i7 on a budget build.

PSUs are also important, as a cheaply made...
The order of importance on components is more like GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU, in that order. You should never leave the GPU out, as it does the lion's share of the work in most games. The CPU and RAM also need to be able to keep up with it, as one calculates, and the other briefly stores rendering data before it's sent to the GPU to be rendered onscreen. If they can't do that in keeping up with the GPU, it has to wait to get it's rendering data, which can cause stutter and freezing. There's still ways to get a fast enough CPU without blowing a lot of money on it though. For instance the HyperThreading on Intel i7 series rarely helps game performance, so you shouldn't pay for an i7 on a budget build.

PSUs are also important, as a cheaply made or under powered one can actually destroy parts connected to it. The key is to keep in mind they are conservatively rated where GPU power requirements are concerned. This is to account for a wide variety of PSUs that vary in how much amperage they actually output for their given wattage. Thus if you just make sure to buy a decent quality one that meets not exceeds your GPU reqs, you'll have ample power and can usually find good deals on them. https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards-20

You CAN save some money on Cases and MBs though, just make sure you look for a case with enough room and ventilation, a reliable brand MB that has features you need, but none you don't. While you CAN save a little bit of money on HDDs, including the WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB in the $40s range, they only have a 2 yr warranty vs the WD Black 5 yr, which is roughly $20 more. I personally don't feel it's worth it to lose that much warranty.

If by chance you left the GPU out because you plan to use CPU onboard graphics or an APU, I highly recommend waiting for AMD's Ryzen 3000 series, particularly the 3600G APU. It's going to easily have the most powerful built in graphics of any CPU, and you can eventually add a discrete GPU if you want.

Lastly, I highly recommend signing up for Newegg's Email Subscriber Promo Deals. They send them out daily and they are usually the best deals on the net.

Last edited:
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Do not go case-less into that good-nite.

The case protects your hardware from more than just dust. I've lost count of the "I just spilt {insert foreign liquid} into my PC and now it won't start. And those where people WITH cases. Aside from that it aids in cooling by directing a consistent airflow through it.

In my opinion and assuming gaming is your primary concern for computer usage (you did post in the PC Gaming Forum), the order of importance for your components should be:

GPU - Your gaming. Of course, this comes first.
PSU - This is the life-blood of your system. If it goes, it could take the rest of your system with it. Never skimp.
RAM - I placed this above the CPU because I'd rather have an I3 with 16GB of RAM than an I5 with only 8GB of RAM.
CPU - This is where you need to start pulling a budget balancing act. You don't pair a GTX 2080Ti with an Intel Celeron.
Motherboard - More budget balancing here. You don't want to go too cheap, but you can cut come corners here.
HDD/SSD - You don't NEED an SSD to start with. If need be, you can start with a 250GB HDD.
Case - Still think you need one, but it doesn't need to be flashy or even well built. It just needs to hold your components. I've spent as little as $15 on a case ($20 off thanks to that Newegg Subscription Service)

-Wolf sends

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I Always skimp on the HD. Buy 2nd hand ones off ebay. Only ever had 1 die after years of service. You can probably get a used 120 GB SSD for about $15 for you main OS drive. Then I usually get a new mobo/cpu combo as you do not want to go through the 2nd hand hell of used mobo/cpu problems ever. and then a top end used GPU from ebay. PSU I would by new with a warranty as well.