PC Build 'Entry Level'

Aug 6, 2016
So i want to build a PC but i am little bit clueless, what would be the more appropriate build that will allow future tweaks?
I had something like this in mind http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bTqcqk
but i'm not married to it...
Mostly ill be playing games, and editing videos, i would like to start streaming or creating content soon though...i don't have a monitor,keyboard or mouse, heck, i don't even have headphones or speakers, basically i'm building it from scratch, i'm not interested in Overclocking as i see it of a semi dangerous thing, and that would require a lot of knowledge, plus water cooling and all that complicated stuff, maybe in the future but not in the next 4-5 years,
5000 CAN(Canadian Dollars, i live in Canada) is a little too expensive, but i also want a top tier build no half assed measures, i want to build it once and forget about it... i'm not a 4k Fanboy and i'm ok with a 1080+ res maybe 1440? and 60Fps.
I am unsure about all this Broadwell-E issue, considering that is a revamp of a 2 year old technology and i fear it will get old pretty fast, also i might need to update the BIOS?(which i have no clue how) does that mean that it's not going to recognize the processor? or that it will boot but i should update ASAP?
Again i want to play Witcher 3 in Ultra, and hopefully games for the next 3-4 years also in ultra. after that i'm ok with upgrading some parts.
Any advice will be appreciated as i consider myself a scrub, a quick study but still ignorant.
i would like to have it by september as a "dead line"

Solution
This should crush pretty much everything for gaming. Not sure to be honest why you'd want to avoid overclocking (both the setup you chose as well as this are easily capable of it, but it's not really my place to say do it or don't.

Replaced the X99 platform with a Z170 platform. It's a lot more cost effective, will still be very capable with video editing, and will perform better in games.
Tweaked the storage around so that you have the fastest available SSD with a 1TB (960GB but who's counting) 2.5" SSD. If you need more storage buying a couple 2TB HDD's wouldn't be a terrible idea.
Went for a cheaper GPU (no less performance though)
Swapped the case out for one that looks better and fits the theme I kind of built around (Red/Black)...

Oaklandmurphy

Respectable
Jun 1, 2016
If playing games is your primary concern the broadwell-e is actually a step back from skylake. In terms of raw horsepower, broadwell-e is king, but skylake i7's have better single core performance which is much more import in games (not to mention it's 1/3rd the price). I also wouldn't recommend getting a $400+ motherboard unless you just have money to burn, basically any ~$200-$250 board will be just as good. You may want to go with a little bit more hdd storage just for media storage and the like because its only like $20 more expensive to get a 2tb hdd.

Just a personal side-note: If I had the cash to buy $5000 pc I would want a case with a window so I could show it off a little bit. But that's entirely up to personal preference.

This is one hell of a first build though I'll give you that.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
This should crush pretty much everything for gaming. Not sure to be honest why you'd want to avoid overclocking (both the setup you chose as well as this are easily capable of it, but it's not really my place to say do it or don't.

Replaced the X99 platform with a Z170 platform. It's a lot more cost effective, will still be very capable with video editing, and will perform better in games.
Tweaked the storage around so that you have the fastest available SSD with a 1TB (960GB but who's counting) 2.5" SSD. If you need more storage buying a couple 2TB HDD's wouldn't be a terrible idea.
Went for a cheaper GPU (no less performance though)
Swapped the case out for one that looks better and fits the theme I kind of built around (Red/Black), though you could tweak it to whichever kind of scheme you would want. It's also a mid tower which is a lot easier to find space for than a full tower case.
Power supply was scaled back to something a little more appropriate for the requirements. If you wanted to SLI 1080's off the bat you could bump to an 850 watt and be A-OK.
Swapped out the monitor for one that is a little more affordable (but still highly reviewed.
1080 is completely overkill for 1080p, but the budget dictates you might as well buy one.

Leaves a solid amount left to pick up a nice headset, keyboard, mouse etc to fit what you would want

i7-6700k Build

Solution

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

That's why we're here. Best of luck with the build!

maiden356

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Wohoo,
2atsv6d
best of luck with the build!