[SOLVED] PC Build for gaming and Cricuit Design software.

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Hello all,

I am a complete novice when it comes to building computers, but my husband and I decided to do a build to get better performance at a lower price point. I'm an aircraft mechanic and he is an automotive mechanic so we aren't worried about the actual building of the thing. We've been researching for quite a few months now and decided earlier this year to wait until the new GPU's were released to actually buy anything. We need some advice with a few things. Here's our build so far (I apologize if I give too much or too little information):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ($200)
  • MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470 2nd and 3rd gen AM4 DDR4 DVI HDMI Onboard Graphics CFX ATX Motherboard (X470 Gaming Plus Max) ($120)
    • EDIT - ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus
  • G.Skill Trident Z RBG 16GB (8+8) AMD 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 PC4 25600 ($130)
  • Thermaltake View 37 Motherboard Sync ARGB E-ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with 3 ARGB 5V Motherboard Sync RGB Fans Pre-Installed ($150)
    • EDIT - Fractal Design Meshify C
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD ($55)
  • EDIT - Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • EDIT - Corsair RMx (2018) 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

EDIT:
    Here's our new build list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xh6nsk
Initially we were looking at two different PSU's; Gamemax GP-650 and Thermaltake Smart Pro 650 RBG but I have a feeling that we should upgrade to an 850. Is it necessary to upgrade to a larger power unit? Does anyone have suggestions on PSU's?

The other thing we were unsure of is the graphics card. I don't want to spend as much as my husband because I would like to keep the build a little less expensive, but I do need the performance to be pretty high. We are both gamers and I run design software on the computer. All of the laptops we currently have fail to run the design software without massive amounts of lag. One of them was actually purchased so I could run AutoCad but it's 10 years old now and hates life.
My husband likes the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, but I'm not thrilled with the price point and I'm not sure if we can even find it in stock anymore.
What advice can anyone give us about a graphics card that's compatible with all our other components?
EDIT - We're still thinking that we're going to wait to see what's going to happen when the AMD GPU's come out in a month or so, but if we can get an RTX 3080 we may bite the bullet and go for it.

We were also thinking about incorporating an SSD as well. Is that a good idea or is it even necessary? I know it's a good idea to put your operating systems on SSDs but I know they can cost a bit.

Also, is there anything that we forgot to look at or include? I know we'll need thermal paste and all that but like I stated above, we are novices with computer building so any advice/instruction will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TheCastle's

EDIT - Thank you to dimtodim and ChumP for all the help they gave us!

Last edited:
Solution
Here's the link that it gives me. I may have to create an account and actually save it... Idk.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6dDbn7

Okay, that makes sense. I figured out what modular meant so I decided that I like the fully modular ones because I hate excess wires, so I picked the Corsair RMx (2018) 850W 80+ gold fully modular. I didn't see the Corsair RMx's on the list that you sent me, so is this one not a good one? Should I switch back to the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 850W ?
is better...find some cooler for cpu, avoid stock
and i suggest you for mobo and case...this mobo isnt expensive and have great VMR...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello all,

I am a complete novice when it comes to building computers, but my husband and I decided to do a build to get better performance at a lower price point. I'm an aircraft mechanic and he is an automotive mechanic so we aren't worried about the actual building of the thing. We've been researching for quite a few months now and decided earlier this year to wait until the new GPU's were released to actually buy anything. We need some advice with a few things. Here's our build so far (I apologize if I give too much or too little information):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ($200)
  • MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470 2nd and 3rd gen AM4 DDR4 DVI HDMI Onboard Graphics CFX ATX Motherboard (X470 Gaming Plus Max) ($120)
  • G.Skill Trident Z RBG 16GB (8+8) AMD 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 PC4 25600 ($130)
  • Thermaltake View 37 Motherboard Sync ARGB E-ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case with 3 ARGB 5V Motherboard Sync RGB Fans Pre-Installed ($150)
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD ($55)
Initially we were looking at two different PSU's; Gamemax GP-650 and Thermaltake Smart Pro 650 RBG but I have a feeling that we should upgrade to an 850. Is it necessary to upgrade to a larger power unit? Does anyone have suggestions on PSU's?

The other thing we were unsure of is the graphics card. I don't want to spend as much as my husband because I would like to keep the build a little less expensive, but I do need the performance to be pretty high. We are both gamers and I run design software on the computer. All of the laptops we currently have fail to run the design software without massive amounts of lag. One of them was actually purchased so I could run AutoCad but it's 10 years old now and hates life.
My husband likes the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, but I'm not thrilled with the price point and I'm not sure if we can even find it in stock anymore.
What advice can anyone give us about a graphics card that's compatible with all our other components?

We were also thinking about incorporating an SSD as well. Is that a good idea or is it even necessary? I know it's a good idea to put your operating systems on SSDs but I know they can cost a bit.

Also, is there anything that we forgot to look at or include? I know we'll need thermal paste and all that but like I stated above, we are novices with computer building so any advice/instruction will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

TheCastle's
case isnt good for air cooling...for 150$ u can buy better

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
that case dont have mesh panel...look same like your first choice...if u want good temp u must think about case with good air flow and cpu cooler...

I meant one as in like that one lol; I should have specified Lancool II :).
As far as a CPU Cooler goes, I guess I didn't really specify if I was getting the Ryzen with the wraith cooler or anything. Should I get that version of it, or should I get just the processor and an aftermarket cooler?

Do you think that a 650W PSU is big enough or should we upgrade? Also, do you have any recommendations on brand?
Thanks!

dimtodim

Reputable
I meant one as in like that one lol; I should have specified Lancool II :).
As far as a CPU Cooler goes, I guess I didn't really specify if I was getting the Ryzen with the wraith cooler or anything. Should I get that version of it, or should I get just the processor and an aftermarket cooler?

Do you think that a 650W PSU is big enough or should we upgrade? Also, do you have any recommendations on brand?
Thanks!
go here and check https://pcpartpicker.com/ u will se recommendation voltage multiply with 1,6 1,7 and u will get optimal psu :)

Initially we were looking at two different PSU's; Gamemax GP-650 and Thermaltake Smart Pro 650 RBG

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

Those are some awfully low quality choices for a build that includes a 3080. With the high power draw of these cards, it's more important than ever to avoid skimping on the PSU.

650W should be fine for your current build, 750W being optimal if you'll want to upgrade that CPU and/or overclock in the future. Wattage is not important if the PSU is of garbage quality to begin with. That's why there are some claimed "1000W" PSUs that won't even be able to work properly under a constant 300-400W load.

Here are some nice quality choices:

Corsair: RMx or TXM
Seasonic: Focus GX/GM
Superflower: Leadex II/III
EVGA: Supernova G2/G3

We have a PSU tier list posted here aswell... you can find a lot more models there:

Wouldn't go below Tier A for your build.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCastles

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
go here and check https://pcpartpicker.com/ u will se recommendation voltage multiply with 1,6 1,7 and u will get optimal psu :)

Thanks, I'd just been using newegg lol. It's telling me my setup is about 500W so by the multiplier I'd need an 850W.

Those are some awfully low quality choices for a build that includes a 3080. With the high power draw of these cards, it's more important than ever to avoid skimping on the PSU.

650W should be fine for your current build, 750W being optimal if you'll want to upgrade that CPU and/or overclock in the future. Wattage is not important if the PSU is of garbage quality to begin with. That's why there are some claimed "1000W" PSUs that won't even be able to work properly under a constant 300-400W load.

Here are some nice quality choices:

Corsair: RMx or TXM
Seasonic: Focus GX/GM
Superflower: Leadex II/III
EVGA: Supernova G2/G3

We have a PSU tier list posted here aswell... you can find a lot more models there:

Wouldn't go below Tier A for your build.

I'll look into that list. I did as dimtodim suggested and went on pcpartpicker and entered my parts. It comes in at about a 500W build, so with the suggested 1.6 multiplier, I'm looking at around 850W. My husband has talked about overclocking it, but that currently goes over my head (I understand the concept, just don't care to understand in depth at the moment).
My other issue comes in to the compatibility flag that I get with the motherboard having a second four pin ATX connector. I found that the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 850W 80+ Gold actually has that second connector. I had a Corsair one pulled up, but it didn't have the second ATX 4 pin connector. I'll look into the other brands you mentioned as well.

I think that the 3080 may be more oomph than we need, but my husband is interested in it. I would like to see what the new AMD Big Navi comes out as price point wise. We've always been big fans of Nvidia graphics cards, but if it's supposed to be compatible and the price blows Nvidia out of the water, in my eyes, it's a big win (so long as we can actually get one).
Do you think the 3080 is too much for our build? Basically, the PC has to be able to run some games (we both play xbox fps and open world games, but we're sick of the lag and cost) and I need to be able to run design programs without yelling incessantly at the computer.

Thanks!

I had a Corsair one pulled up, but it didn't have the second ATX 4 pin connector. I'll look into the other brands you mentioned as well.

Any of those PSUs that I mentioned have all the connectors you need. If you're referring to the CPU 4 pin power connector, every remotely modern PSU has one... that's including every Corsair PSU in the current line up.

EDIT: Now I see to what's pointing it out... that motherboard has an 8+4 pin available for the CPU, so pcpartpicker is pointing that the corsair is having only a 4+4 pin(or 8 pin). That's not a compatibility issue as the additional 4 pin is there usually for extreme overclocking(in many cases only the 8 pin is enough though) and it's not needed to be plugged in otherwise(even if you're OCing).
So, that's not an issue and it's safe getting the Corsair as through the 8 pin CPU connector over 200W can be supplied to the CPU... yours is a 65W part so even if you're overclocking to the extreme you won't even get close to 200W.

dimtodim

Reputable
Thanks, I'd just been using newegg lol. It's telling me my setup is about 500W so by the multiplier I'd need an 850W.

I'll look into that list. I did as dimtodim suggested and went on pcpartpicker and entered my parts. It comes in at about a 500W build, so with the suggested 1.6 multiplier, I'm looking at around 850W. My husband has talked about overclocking it, but that currently goes over my head (I understand the concept, just don't care to understand in depth at the moment).
My other issue comes in to the compatibility flag that I get with the motherboard having a second four pin ATX connector. I found that the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 850W 80+ Gold actually has that second connector. I had a Corsair one pulled up, but it didn't have the second ATX 4 pin connector. I'll look into the other brands you mentioned as well.

I think that the 3080 may be more oomph than we need, but my husband is interested in it. I would like to see what the new AMD Big Navi comes out as price point wise. We've always been big fans of Nvidia graphics cards, but if it's supposed to be compatible and the price blows Nvidia out of the water, in my eyes, it's a big win (so long as we can actually get one).
Do you think the 3080 is too much for our build? Basically, the PC has to be able to run some games (we both play xbox fps and open world games, but we're sick of the lag and cost) and I need to be able to run design programs without yelling incessantly at the computer.

Thanks!
can u post link from pcpartpicker list with all components?

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
can u post link from pcpartpicker list with all components?

Here's the link that it gives me. I may have to create an account and actually save it... Idk.

EDIT: Now I see to what's pointing it out... that motherboard has an 8+4 pin available for the CPU, so pcpartpicker is pointing that the corsair is having only a 4+4 pin(or 8 pin). That's not a compatibility issue as the additional 4 pin is there usually for extreme overclocking(in many cases only the 8 pin is enough though) and it's not needed to be plugged in otherwise(even if you're OCing).
So, that's not an issue and it's safe getting the Corsair as through the 8 pin CPU connector over 200W can be supplied to the CPU... yours is a 65W part so even if you're overclocking to the extreme you won't even get close to 200W.

Okay, that makes sense. I figured out what modular meant so I decided that I like the fully modular ones because I hate excess wires, so I picked the Corsair RMx (2018) 850W 80+ gold fully modular. I didn't see the Corsair RMx's on the list that you sent me, so is this one not a good one? Should I switch back to the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 850W ?

dimtodim

Reputable

and i suggest you for mobo and case...this mobo isnt expensive and have great VMR and future upgrade....
see issues with

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCastles
Solution

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
and i suggest you for mobo and case...this mobo isnt expensive and have great VMR and future upgrade....
see issues with

Is the issue with the Lancool II the fact that I'd need an adapter for the USB 3.2 gen 2 type c ports?

It's an aesthetic thing, but I'm not in love with the Fractal case. And also aesthetically, I like the fun colors, but I guess they could just be fun and colorful on the inside. If it's just the usb thing, the website said I could get an adapter. Is that not smart? Honestly, we don't have anything that runs with a type c yet; even my phone is over four years old... I know that technology is going that way now so it will be necessary in the future.

As far as the motherboard; we will always have our computer hardwired, it will never be on wifi. Where we live has some issues with wifi. We actually get 100 - 400 mbps download and over 30 mbps upload when we're hardwired, but wifi we might get between 3-30 download and 2-12 upload. We've always had issues with the wifi here and we've had 2 different internet providers come and change all the stuff many times. It's an issue on all 4 of our Xboxes, our cell phones, television, and all three laptops.

Is there a motherboard that you recommend without wifi? I'll hunt for a motherboard list on this website and a few others as well. Also, I don't know what VMR is :| lol

Thanks again for all your input!

dimtodim

Reputable
Is the issue with the Lancool II the fact that I'd need an adapter for the USB 3.2 gen 2 type c ports?

It's an aesthetic thing, but I'm not in love with the Fractal case. And also aesthetically, I like the fun colors, but I guess they could just be fun and colorful on the inside. If it's just the usb thing, the website said I could get an adapter. Is that not smart? Honestly, we don't have anything that runs with a type c yet; even my phone is over four years old... I know that technology is going that way now so it will be necessary in the future.

As far as the motherboard; we will always have our computer hardwired, it will never be on wifi. Where we live has some issues with wifi. We actually get 100 - 400 mbps download and over 30 mbps upload when we're hardwired, but wifi we might get between 3-30 download and 2-12 upload. We've always had issues with the wifi here and we've had 2 different internet providers come and change all the stuff many times. It's an issue on all 4 of our Xboxes, our cell phones, television, and all three laptops.

Is there a motherboard that you recommend without wifi? I'll hunt for a motherboard list on this website and a few others as well. Also, I don't know what VMR is :| lol

Thanks again for all your input!
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS is without wifi and bluetooth and is little cheeper
ok buy case what u like...but fractal is king of air flow have a nice time