[SOLVED] PC build for video editing

Dec 9, 2019
Hi,

I'm trying to build a PC for video editing with Premiere Pro. I'd like it to be able to handle 4K. I'm not planning to overclock it. Future updates will be minor (memory, storage etc.).

I'd appreciate any feedback on the system below, and I have a few specific questions:

1. Is the GPU (2070 super) an overkill for the budget?

2. Are Gigabyte "Gaming " graphics card good enough? Should I invest a bit more for an Asus "Strix" card or an Evga "Black" card?

3. Is the AMD stock CPU cooler good enough?

4. Am I going to have trouble with the motherboard compatibility to the CPU?

Approximate Purchase Date: In Near future

Budget Range: ~1k USD in Amazon prices (actually it's going to cost me much more due to taxes and shipping costs).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing up to 4K with Premiere Pro.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon

Parts Preferences: As far as I understand AMD (CPU) and Nvidia (GPU) are the better choices for my purpose given the budget, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Overclocking: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 4K

Why Are You Upgrading: I'm a professional video photographer, director and producer, never did editing, I'd like to learn this area and maybe become a pro.

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $379.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $110.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $154.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $62.99 @ B&H
Storage | Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive | $84.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card |-
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox K500 ATX Mid Tower Case | $71.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $119.99 @ Corsair
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $985.92
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-09 03:09 EST-0500 |

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Here's an informative video that should clear things up.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HKRUPN1Mk

And as for your questions:
  1. Not at all. 2070 is more than enough for 4k editing.
  2. Doesn't matter what brand, all cards of the same class perform roughly the same. Ex 2070 Super Strix will perform the same as a 2070 Super EVGA. Becuase they are both literally 2070 GPUs.
  3. For 3800X, yes the stock cooler is good enough. I use a 3900x with stock right now and edit with no temp issues.
  4. CPU is compatible with mobo, but for best performance with a B450, the Tomahawk Max is the best on the market.
Any gaming rig will do just fine for 4K video editing.
Here's an informative video that should clear things up.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HKRUPN1Mk

And as for your questions:
  1. Not at all. 2070 is more than enough for 4k editing.
  2. Doesn't matter what brand, all cards of the same class perform roughly the same. Ex 2070 Super Strix will perform the same as a 2070 Super EVGA. Becuase they are both literally 2070 GPUs.
  3. For 3800X, yes the stock cooler is good enough. I use a 3900x with stock right now and edit with no temp issues.
  4. CPU is compatible with mobo, but for best performance with a B450, the Tomahawk Max is the best on the market.
Any gaming rig will do just fine for 4K video editing.

Reactions: amshalle
Solution